Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Not your typical knit formalwear

If the movies have taught me anything, it is that prom is The Most Important Thing Ever. Perhaps the things that aren't perfect in life would be if I'd just managed to go. Honestly, I didn't care then and don't regret it now, but I know that some would find it tragic that I didn't attend one of the so-called defining moments of the teenage years.

Of course, I realize that prom is a big deal to many. Inevitably around this time of year there's at least one story about creative prom wear circulating in the national media. 2009's pick has a knitting connection: a knitted duct tape prom dress.

I can't imagine such a garment would be comfortable or practical to wear, but obviously that's not the point of making it. Good for her. I can't imagine the time investment it would take.

It seems like I've heard other stories of duct tape prom dresses and/or tuxedos and for good reason. One brand of duct tape runs a contest that rewards such creative endeavors with scholarship money. Beats writing an essay.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 8:23 AM, Anonymous LittleWit said...

It seems like it would be very hard to be the first to do something original anymore. I wonder when they first started doing duct tape couture? I know someone in the class behind me did a duct tape suit while I was in high school.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Knitting with duct tape? No thanks. I knit because I like to enjoy the feel of whatever I'm working with. Duct tape feels icky... and sticky.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Very creative. It looks like she rolled the duck tape onto itself so it was a thin strand. I wonder how stiff the resulting 'yarn' turns out. I've knitted with plastic bag yarn, it can be very hard on the hands/joints if it is thick.

I would be interested to see better pictures of her dress. It seemed like she knitted on large needles and created more of a mesh like fabric.

Both kids looked great. Thanks for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home