Wednesday, February 11, 2009

We are beautiful, we are doomed

In addition to a tornado watch, there's been a high wind warning around these parts today. Early this evening the view from my apartment was of a typically overcast day. Suddenly, rain was blowing so hard that I couldn't see what was in the distance. It didn't last for long but, later on as I headed out to see seven-piece Welsh indie rock band Los Campesinos!, pictured above, I hoped that I wouldn't get picked up by a gust and be deposited in Virginia.

The wind wasn't bad when I left home, but it seemed like there were a lot of lights out as I drove south on the highway toward Ohio State. The electricity was flowing, and the night of rock and roll began with Titus Andronicus.

Can't say I know anything about the New Jersey five-piece. Their fifty-minute set was all right, but that's the extent of my comments.

Los Campesinos! played a solid and energetic hour-long set. I was a little surprised that the band seemed more laidback and humble compared to the bratty attitude that comes through on the albums. The silky female lead vocals traded off nicely with the sandpaper-like male lead vocals. A cover of Pavement's "Frontwards" was a nice surprise as was lead singer Gareth Campesino and one of the guitarists hopping off the stage on the stage at separate points during main set closer "Sweet Dreams, Sweet Cheeks" and performing among the crowd.

While the band from Cardiff hoped to spend the post-concert time enjoying a little night life with Columbus' Times New Viking, I ventured out into the whipping wind. It was blowing harder than before. My car got pushed around somewhat on the interstate, but the bigger obstacle faced while driving was the downed pine tree at the entrance to my apartment complex. I had room to get by it, but suddenly I had visions of a tree branch through the sliding door on my apartment's west side.

The bright blue tarps needed from September's windstorm still cover most of the apartment buildings' roofs. They loudly flapped like enormous bats swooping upon me as I exited the car. Then I saw more shingles scattered about the parking lot, sidewalks, and lawn. Fortunately the only "damage" I suffered while gone was a power outage and loss of some Top Chef and Life on Mars recording. I can deal with that.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 7:49 AM, Blogger Doniamarie said...

Haha! I couldn't get past your first paragraph without laughing! I'm lucky I didn't end up in Alabama on Monday, the wind was so bad!

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad you ended your night safely. I had no idea it was that bad out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home