Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Boo!

I was excited to open my mailbox and see a card inside. That's a rare occurrence, so this made a nice surprise on a long day. The return address didn't ring a bell, but the envelope had been addressed by hand...or so I thought initially. By the time I got to my front door I determined that the writing was just a font approximating handwriting and that what was inside was probably advertising. Sure enough, it was a card was from AT&T trying to persuade me to switch my cable service to them. They even went to the trouble of having the raised Hallmark logo on the back of the envelope. Boo!

Two days ago a light bulb in my living room burned out. I hadn't replaced it because I didn't have any on hand. Miraculously I remembered on the way home. I got one of those compact fluorescents because it's supposed to be a more environmentally-conscious alternative, although I doubt the promise of nine years of use. Of course, they've got the bulb encased in plastic packaging that is is impossible to open without a cutting device. Even then it takes a fair amount of effort to get the thing out. Boo!

I don't have another item, which means I fall short of fulfilling the rule of three. Boo!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AT&T sent you a hallmark card? They're not one of the ones requesting a bailout are they? :)

 
At 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nine years? Don't believe it.

I put a compact flourescent bulb in my hallway which was supposed to last 7 years. Not only was the light output SIGNIFICANTLY lower, the darn thing burned out in 2 months. 2 months. There is nothing environmentally conscious about a light bulb that has to be changed that much more often and it is my experience that they rarely make it to 25% of their advertised life.

I do remember putting in ten-year bulbs (not compact flourescents, just long-life halogens) in a ceiling fan light fixture on January 1, 2000. Surprisingly, two of them are still going.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home