Thursday, February 05, 2009

Scattered stuff

The end is in sight in regard to my heavy workload, but for now it means more random stuff...

To throw a bone to the knitting crowd, considering that is sort of why you're here (or so I assume), here's a cool featurette about the mini knits in the stop-motion film Coraline. The movie itself, which opens Friday, is pretty great. Finding a good new movie at this time of year is always a pleasant surprise, especially since I had no expectations going in. (For what it's worth, I know of Neil Gaiman and that he has a fairly substantial fanbase, but I came to this movie cold.)

Animal Collective's "My Girls" is an early contender for my vote on song of the year.

I don't recall ever seeing gas stations pulling the prices on their signs to indicate that they had no fuel. I've noticed the practice every now and then at a couple BP stations over the past six months. What's that all about?

Within the last four months or so I've received a couple messages on my voicemail from collection agencies/law firms looking for people who aren't me. I've had my home number for going on fourteen years--editorial note: yikes, that long?--and, to the best of my knowledge, have not had my identity stolen. I'm not concerned, but should I be?

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 11:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really would like to see this movie. Do you think it is at all like MirrorMask? Watching some of the trailers it does seem to remind me a bit of it.

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

I suppose there are some similarities to Mirrormask, although I don't remember much about the movie other than it annoyed me. I don't doubt that Coralin will become a film of choice for teen goth girls, but that's irrelevant to what's on screen. It's very creative, well-told, and doesn't condescend to kids. I was surprised how much I ended up liking it. (3D isn't essential, but I think it's employed well here.)

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Doniamarie said...

Strange about BP - I heard they're losing money. Personally, I despise them. In MI, one of their stations put diesel in an unleaded tank - which ended up in my car. Thankfully, we don't have them down this way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home