Saturday, December 13, 2008

Ephemera

Some tastes and preferences can be explained and rooted out. Some small, pleasant things defy explanation or don't need any...

-Catching the scent of the goods baking inside the Wonder Bread factory while merging on the westbound stretch of I-670 from I-71.

-The forlorn sound of train whistles in the distance at night.

-The musical plunk, like the sound of a coin placed in an old arcade game, in Google Talk to signify a new instant message.

-The smell of the Budweiser brewery while driving past it on I-270. Perhaps it's because it reminds me of being able to smell the Cargill plant as a child.

-Getting the DVR fast forward timing down so that when you hit play, the program resumes at the moment when it returned from break.

-The weight of many blankets on a cold night.

-The lit-up exteriors of shopping malls on winter evenings.

-The lucid moment between dreaming and wakefulness.

-Light dissipating above the audience like powdered dreams that can only become tangible upon reaching the screen.

-The faint flickering sound of reels turning in the projectionist's booth.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 11:32 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

I love the weight of many blankets. Lance doesn't, however, so we often squabble about how many blankets can be on the bed. When he was out of town last, I sneaked* another one on there, and he hasn't demanded its removal...yet. (Though he has complained).

*Sneaked is the past tense of sneak, though in my opinion, "snuck" (not actually a word)is a much sneakier sounding word...

 
At 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can smell the Budweiser brewery from my house. When I was younger and we would be traveling for the holidays (or any other reason really) the smell of the brewery always meant that we were close to home. So even though beer doesn't rank anywhere on my drink list the smell of the brewery will always mean home. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home