Monday, September 22, 2008

To frog or not to frog

After some time for reflection, wise words from LittleWit, and comparing this WIP sock with a washed (and less stretched out) handknit sock, I have decided to leave well enough alone and keep working on this one without a change in needles or stitches.

I've been having trouble sleeping for at least a week, and I think it's catching up to me in the form of crankiness and pessimism. (You could probably chart the darkness of my mood by how late I write blog entries.) And yes, I get a little hyper when I think I may be doing something incorrectly. I really don't want to redo this sock, but that's matched by my silly stubbornness to avoid gauge swatches.

The clincher, though, was when it was pointed out that a ribbed sock will be more forgiving on fit than stockinette. Since these socks have ribbing and I can get my foot into it, I don't think I should have to waste any more time worrying about it. I probably will, but I feel certain enough that I'm in the clear.

I had some initial buyer's remorse when I first started knitting the sock. Do I like the yarn's colors? Really? From what I've produced so far, I don't have reason to worry. These colors will certainly be more versatile. The variegation seems less predictable too, which ought to make the socks less likely to develop zebra-like stripes.

By restarting this sock twice I suspect that I finally found the least (and appropriate) tension for the cast on row. The cuff seems stretchier. Despite my concerns, I think this is going to turn out quite well whenever I'm able to finish.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 5:26 AM, Blogger Ruth's Place said...

I like how it's knitting up!

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Doniamarie said...

I like it! Keep it! And good luck with the sleeping. I'm going on three hours today....sigh.

 
At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're in luck k1p1 ribbing is the stretchiest. Knit on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home