Friday, August 08, 2008

On the sidelines

Due to an oversight on my part, I did not qualify at the Ravelympic Trials and thus am not participating in Ravelympics. (In other words, I thought I could sign up today. Nope.) I'll have to pretend I'm playing alongside the big kids while I knit during these Games.

I've decided to go ahead and try my hand at the Everlasting Bagstopper, although I'm not sure what I'll do when it comes to making handles or knitting the stockinette portion on the base. (The pattern doesn't specify how much of that to knit, thus my confusion and potential stopping point.)

I'm doing the base, top border, and handles in Sugar'n Cream's dark pine and will do the body in jute. Hopefully I have enough yarn. I cleaned out Hobby Lobby's stash of the latter color, so anything else I get will likely have a different dye lot.

I've knit about two inches of the base while watching the Olympics' stunning opening ceremonies. I'm a fan of director Zhang Yimou's Hero and House of Flying Daggers--Curse of the Golden Flower looked great but left me a little cold--so I'm not surprised that he's been able to put together a visually dynamic program. Zhang knows how to do things on a big scale, and boy does this ceremony have that.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 12:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't sweat not being 'official' for the Ravelympics.

If I remember correctly I knitted 5 rows of straight up stockinette after picking up the side stitches from the base. It's going to be a big rectangle. The yarn combination sounds cool.

Agreed that the Opening Ceremony was simply stunning. There were so many performers. Amazing.

Happy knitting.

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Opening Ceremony was incredible. I usually get bored but this one kept me glued to the screen.

Good luck on the bag. I finally figured mine out and it's not that hard at all. I should just really learn to read the pattern and not listen to other people - even if they are teaching me. Arrrg! Keep us posted!

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

After you pickup stitches on all sides of the base, you k 5 rounds, then change to the big needles and k 1 round.

I did mine before learning magic loop -- the picking up would have been much easier if I'd been MLing on a very long needle. Pulling the needle out and having a loop before I started picking up the next side would alleviate the tightness that gets more difficult as you go around. After that, though -- easy, quick, fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home