Tuesday, August 12, 2008

On hold

I read and appreciate everyone's advice regarding my market bag handle problem. I did not do anything else with it today, though. I'm not sure how since I didn't really do anything--no, I wasn't parked in front of the TV all day--but the day slipped away from me without this becoming the center of attention. (It didn't help that Ravelry was inaccessible when I might have tried to solve this conundrum. It's too late now to put my mind on it.)

I still don't follow it all. Should I break the yarn for each one of the places where I'd make an I-cord? I don't see where else there'd be a place to attach yarn or any to work with. I haven't a clue what I-cord is--I know, look it up--so that's something else to figure out. Stupid as it is, I don't know what's an appropriate length for a handle. I don't know how to graft, and I'm spooked about trying out a different bind off.

If you're shaking your head and rolling your eyes, yeah, I understand that this is exceptionally obnoxious. It's a confidence issue. I stomp my feet and mutter, "I'm stupid. I can't do it," which I believe and don't believe. I have this strange way of expecting a lot from myself and expecting little or nothing. I know it's not terribly productive or becoming. So let me carry on until it's out of my system, point me in the right way if you can see what's tripping me up, and ignore the rest.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:56 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

If you don't want to learn all those things at once, that's totally understandable. I would just learn grafting -- a way to join live stitches is a good trick to have in your back pocket.

Here's my recommendation: Bind off halfway around, break the yarn, slide nine or twelve stitches onto a holder or piece of scrap yarn, start binding off again (reattaching the yarn just like you would a stripe of a new color -- just leave a tail and start it up). When you get nine or twelve stitches from the end, stop binding off and start knitting a garter stitch strap with them. Make it shorter than you think you need to, because it will stretch; just a few inches longer than the bag is wide. Then take a look at Knitty's tutorial on Kitchener stitch to learn how to graft.

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

Like I said, I appreciate the suggestions. I'm just impatient right now for some reason. Your recommendation above sounds like it has the potential for less frustration, for what it's worth.

I did the Kitchener stitch at the end of a sock...a year ago. Not sure if I understand how to do that with this but we'll see.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home