Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Slanted and enchanted

Under the influence of commenters, I've tried cables sans cable needle. I think I'm doing it properly, for the most part. I botched a left slanting cable before attempting the new technique--it now slants right--so I can't say for sure what's up.

Actually, now that I look at it again, it appears that I've switched the slants on both sides. I'll take that to mean I'm slipping the stitches the wrong way on each of those sides and just need to flip what I'm doing to get them leaning the direction they're supposed to. I have a few more repeats left for experimentation, so we'll see what gets produced.

The nice thing about this project is that it's a quick trial and error knit that will leave me with a decent enough FO. It's taught what I need to know about cables...or what I think I need to know about cables.

I haven't determined a preference knitting cables with or without the cable needle. Certainly it's less awkward without, but I don't know if I have the constitution to leave a couple stitches sitting there off the needle and trying to get them back on. At this point I also have to pause to remember exactly what I'm supposed to be doing when using this technique.

Using the cable needle saves the breath-holding and removes the questions of how I need to slip the stitches. On the other hand, I've had trouble knitting the stitches on the cable needle, and the blasted thing gets in the way.

Thoughts?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never been able to knit cables without a cable needle. I try so hard, but I end up dropping several stitches in the process, lol. One suggestion I have for you that might be a happy medium, is to slip the stitches from the cable needle back onto the left needle when you're ready to knit them. This won't solve the problem of the cable needle getting in the way while the stitches are being held on it, but it will probably make it easier for you to work the stitches when you're ready for them.

I haven't found a way to get over the feeling of the cable needle being in the way. All I can say is, you get used to it over time so it's not so noticeable.

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

That's a great suggestion. I'll have to try it. Thanks!

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

I always have to look up the cabling-without-a-needle instructions when I have to do it. My attempts to reverse-engineer it on the fly using logic have never worked. But I've learned how to keep the stitches secure when they're hanging out there in the air (pinch the row under the stitches, not right on them), and I just have no patience for the needle now at all. I'll also say that it's a lot easier to do it needleless in wool, which is sticky and resists dropping stitches, than slippery fibers. But I hope you'll persist in trying -- if the cable needle annoys you, then I think this method, once you get more comfortable with it, will really speed you up and make cables fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home