Thursday, July 17, 2008

Cable ready

I appreciate the suggestions and opinions about whether to knit cables with or without a cable needle (or an amalgamation of both methods). If there's one thing I've learned about knitting, it is to sample the wisdom of others. I know there's been a fair number of pixels devoted to how the internet has given a boost to knitting. Rightly so. The collective knowledge and wider community make it easier to get advice.

I don't know that my experiment without a cable needles provided a fair assessment of the technique because after I stopped knitting for the night I realized that I was using one US 6 and one US 5. I grabbed the needles thinking I had two of the same size. Umm, no. That would explain why some of the stitches were harder to work on.

So I've not ruled out going cable needle-less and will employ the trick to keep the momentarily slipped stitches safe. I fear that I may be too much of a klutz or not stout enough of heart when it comes to doing it on a "real" project but we'll see.

I am curious to try the suggestion of putting the stitches on the cable needle back on the regular needle when the time to knit them comes. The problem I foresee in this scenario is that those stitches are really tight and don't have much room for any needle, so they may not want to go back.

Still, the fact that I'm not freaked out by cables any longer is a win in its own right.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:35 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

That's the spirit. How to do it is a matter of logistics. That you are willing to do it and want to keep working on it is the real victory. Cables will open up a whole world for you -- heck, we might get you knitting a sweater one of these days!

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Dishcloth cotton has very little give. You will find wool, or a wool blend, is much easier to cable with than cotton!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home