Wednesday, June 25, 2008

On the plus side of the ledger

All right, let's try and brighten things up around here after my recent negativity with Things That are Making Me Happy at the Moment...

-HDTV

Part of what makes the ER bill sting is that it comes on the heels of purchasing a new television. I'd wanted one for a long time and finally was in a position where I felt I could afford it. (Certainly it became less in the budget with the arrival of unexpected medical expenses.) At least if I'm going to be stuck at home I've got this beauty to gaze at.

-She & Him Volume One

The band name annoys my inner grammarian, but this album pleases my retro pop-loving ears. Zooey Deschanel possesses a limited vocal range, but her voice's unique timbre and the song arrangements are well-matched. Currently my favorite track is "This is Not a Test" (hear it, see it). Obligatory gripe: Deschanel and M. Ward will be here in concert...the same night I'm seeing Radiohead.

-Summer hours

I haven't been able to take full advantage of them yet--it's been the reverse, actually--but simply knowing that I can cut back some is a relief. Faculty members could stand to drop the quizzical looks and questions about why I'm there so much, though. It's not like I get the summer off.

-Blueberry pancakes and bacon

Whether I'm making this or ordering it for breakfast at a restaurant nearby, it's a delicious way to start the day. I try not to eat bacon too much, so maybe that's what makes it taste so wonderful when I do.

-Coming to terms with the slowness of knitting the Chevron Stripes Hand Towel

I've learned a couple new techniques, and it's looking good. So what if it's not progressing as quickly as my impatient self would have liked.

-NewsRadio in TV Club

NewsRadio is one of my all-time favorite TV shows, but preferring it over other comedies at the time was very much the contrarian stance, or so I've always imagined. (Resolve: Seinfeld will not age well whereas NewsRadio is more timeless.) It's nice to read what Donna has to say and see other fans coming out of the woodwork for the weekly appreciation of the sitcom.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:29 PM, Blogger Karen said...

So glad you're feeling better, friend! (mentally and physically)

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Glad you're enjoying the blog! Now, I'm a Seinfeld and Friends fan as well, but Newsradio was always more ... cuddly. And because it wasn't ever incredible popular, it felt like it was yours more than America's. I've been gratified by the response to the blog, especially since Keith was initially skeptical about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home