Tuesday, June 24, 2008

ER blues

I appreciate the commenters assuring me that I wasn't stuck with this outrageous emergency room bill, but I'm sorry to report that it is indeed the case that I owe a couple thousand dollars. That's my deductible and thems the breaks.

In a nutshell, it's down to my choice of picking a plan that banks on not using health insurance (thus a high deductible and a Health Savings Account). I had to switch at the end of last year, and this option seemed best to me since I've not used health care. (Even in those rare instances when I've needed it I've had to pay for everything out of pocket.) Essentially I gambled and lost, which doesn't erase the fact that the costs are obscene and doesn't make it right that people have to gamble on their health. You'd think there would be a better way.

I've been told that I can and should negotiate/grovel with the hospital when I receive a bill for the amount the insurance company isn't covering. Apparently that's how the game is played. Seriously, though, this is the best we can do?

Sorry for the black clouds. Back to knitting talk or bitching and moaning about something petty tomorrow...

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 10:24 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

It's cruel to give you a choice of deductibles. I did the same thing you did for years when we had a choice of three deductibles -- I picked the highest one, gambling I wouldn't need it. Now everybody at the university gets a $1000 deductible, which is pretty darn high but at least there's no gambling involved.

Urgh, so sorry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home