Saturday, April 12, 2008

Catchall

Notes from a cold, lazy day...

I have restarted knitting the blanket that was put aside when I became fixated on making myself a scarf. I'm getting toward the end of the second skein. Only three more to go! (That's a sarcastic exclamation point. I can't believe how much remains in spite of all the time I've put into it.)

Today I received a thank-you note from the recipients of a baby hat I made. Neither parent knew that I knit, but she was excited to learn the secret, going so far to say that she's jealous I know how to do it. That being said, she identified "it" as sewing and crochet, but I can't fault her for making the mistake because I probably wouldn't have known the difference until I took up the needles. Here's a better picture of the hat.

To answer a question from the comments the other day, my mom has not knit anything since she made that first scarf. I thought she might have kept at it when my dad went in for surgery in late February, but between that and keeping up with work, it sounds as though she hasn't had the time. During that time my aunt visited and showed her the English method--I taught her the continental method--so she's good to go either way if or when she chooses to pick up the needles again.

I never know what posts will generate comments, but with the explosion on my entry about diet and exercise, I almost feel like I ought to write semi-regularly about it to trade ideas and recipes.

The weather here has no rhyme or reason. Since Sunday I'd been enjoying warmer temperatures and keeping open the sliding glass door on the west side of my living room. Today I had to turn the furnace on again. And there's talk of snow.

Tickets for Radiohead's August concert in Cleveland went on sale this morning. A Ticketmaster outlet is very close to where I live, so I thought I'd see if there was a line to determine if I felt my best bet to get a pavilion seat was at the store or online from home. (I decided that it would be pavilion or nothing for me. A lawn seat is too far away and too much trouble to make it worthwhile.) I think I can safely pronounce that the days of waiting in line for tickets are basically over.

I know the show isn't here, but I was the only person in line when tickets became available. Keep in mind that my ticket is in the pit--the general admission area in front of the first row--and online auctions for the same ticket are starting at $300-400. (Even with the ridiculous service fees, these are mark-ups of six to eight times face value.) This will be one of the summer's hottest tours, so it isn't like other people in the area aren't interested. Now why didn't I have the brains to buy an extra to scalp?!

I have mixed feelings about where my ticket puts me. How exciting to be so close! I'm less enthused at the prospect of being packed like sardines and not having a seat, but there's further motivation to get in shape.

Online purchasing is the great equalizer, or so it would seem, when it comes to buying tickets. There's no longer a need for camping out or the in-store line and lottery to set an order. The store employee said that they are going through the internet like everyone else, although they have a line for accessing the system that isn't available to the public. Does it make a difference? I bet it does. When I got home I checked for what kind of ticket I could pull up. The system seemed to take longer to get through and find a ticket, although I would have still snagged one, just not as close.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! You sound just like me with the blanket! 3 more to go!

Good luck with the dieting and exercise! I got rid of 30 pounds a year ago and I'm still amazed at how my eating has permanently changed. Now I get disgusted when I watch people eat tons of unhealthy food. I'm not envious - I just think of all the Weight Watchers points and I'm grossed out. I never ate badly but I never ate great. Exercise is always harder for me! I'm sure you'll be successful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home