Thursday, April 03, 2008

State of the blog

Are you wondering if this is a knitting blog any longer? If you came across it this past month, you'd probably be inclined to think it isn't. In fact, my March progress report and a perusal of recurring topics would support that observation. FO tally: one. Entries about my hometown: three long ones.

The truth of the matter is that I've been very, very busy--aren't we all?--and finding time to knit has been difficult. I've not lost my love for knitting, just some of the hours for it. I suppose that is only natural considering how ridiculously committed I was at the start. Then again, at that time my knitting had two major motivations I don't have at present. I was knitting against a deadline, which isn't a factor now, and I was knitting as a means to maintaining some measure of stress reduction.

Now, I can't say that I lack stress that needs reduced, but it's significantly different than what drove me to knit then. If you recall, I couldn't get any rest at home because of the other people in my apartment building, and the future of my place of work was in question to varying degrees. I'm am happy to say that when I moved at the end of last May, I left behind the living arrangement stresses. Work seems to have sorted itself out that the only concern is keeping up with it. In other words, I am not the wreck that I felt like I was when I began. I enjoy knitting, but I don't need it as desperately as I did when I began.

That's not solely the reason for blogging diversions into more personal background entries that have filled these pages of late. I've been knitting projects that can't be finished as quickly as the garter stitch scarves or dishcloths. It's no wonder I have less to write about knitting-wise. Plus, I've attained a basic level of competence that means I don't have the mistakes to supply my daily posting needs.

I acknowledge that I probably need to push myself to knit new things and learn new techniques, which will help get me back on topic more regularly, and I hope to do so as life settles down. (I won't say when it settles down. Who knows when that could be?) In the meantime, thanks as always for reading. I'll try to keep another one of these posts a few months from now. :)

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 2:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are interested in the knitter as well as the knitting so anything you want to post about is fine.

And I'm very glad that you don't have the stressors that drove you to knitting in the first place.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Doniamarie said...

Ha! Life tends to interfere with hobbies - and somehow we both wrote entries about this!

And less stress is good! Even if life is busy...

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I also like reading about whatever you feel like posting...knitting or not. (And I'm officially caught back up! I was very behind in reading your blog and another...my two favorites, because 1-my bloglines wasn't working for weeks and 2-I find that I like to read every entry and often want to comment, which isn't true for many of the other blogs I read, so I need to focus more. The other's I can just quickly skim through and move along. Happy to be caught back up on your's and hopefully I'll be able to stay that way for awhile.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home