Saturday, April 05, 2008

IV

I have been dreadfully behind on reading the blog entries amassing in my Google Reader account. I've been making my way alphabetically through them today and have shrunk the remaining number to 58. That explains why I'm just now getting to the meme Ruth tagged me for quite some time ago. My apologies.

Except I did this meme in two parts last August and, ironically enough, borrowed it from Ruth's site then. Some items weren't on there then, so I'll answer them.

Four places I have been

Since it's an Olympic year, there are ties to the Games in each of these.

-Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, California

The site hosted Olympic baseball in 1984., although I was there more than a few years later. Until I settled on the Olympic theme, this slot was filled by Grauman's Chinese Theatre. I saw Space Cowboys but didn't look around at the handprints, footprints, and such because my brother and I had just come from a tour at Paramount Studios and then took off to get to the ballgame in time.

-Centennial Olympic Park in Atlanta, GA

One of my brothers lived in the Atlanta area for awhile, so this part of downtown was a natural spot to visit. Actually, I've been there on two different occasions, but I don't really have anything to say about it.

-Olympic Spirit Toronto

In 2004 I was in Toronto while the Summer Games were in swing in Athens, Greece. Newly opened was Olympic Spirit Toronto, an interactive tourist spot that allowed visitors to try their hands at some of the winter and summer sports. Truth be told, it was not that great--some of the exhibits didn't quite work--so I'm not surprised to learn that it closed two years later. Eagle-eyed readers might be able to spot the building in the background of the above photo. (The CBC Olympic telecast was being shown in the empty lot across the street from Eaton Centre.)

-Stade olympique in Montréal, Québec

Earlier in that Canadian trip I was in Montréal and took in an Expos game at Olympic Stadium. I'd had some affection for the team and their logo for a long time, so I was really happy to be able to see them play at home before they moved to Washington, D.C. the following year.

Maybe it was the defeated underdog nature of the franchise at that point in time or the loud but exceptionally small collection of fans, but the ballpark had a lot of charm despite the funereal atmosphere. The concourses were empty, and the plastic seats seemed pretty flimsy for a pro stadium. Nevertheless, it was one of the most enjoyable baseball games I've ever attended. The Expos won on a bases loaded walk with two outs in the bottom of the ninth.


Four places I would rather be right now

-The NCAA Tournament Final Four in San Antonio, TX

It would be all the sweeter since the outcomes of tonight's games mean I win the pool!

-In Cincinnati for the Reds weekend series against the Phillies

Man, I really want to go down there for a game.

-Somewhere warmer and sunnier.

The sun was out today, and did it ever make a difference in my mood. I'm beginning to realize how much time I spend in dreary places. My office and the building it is in provide almost no views of the outside during the day. (The windows are in the faculty offices.) Then there are the darkened movie theaters. The gray, dreary winter on top of all this doesn't help.

-Europe

I don't have a fourth answer. I've never been to Europe but would like to go eventually, so it'll suffice for this purpose.

Four things I am looking forward to this year

-Eliminating the remainder of my debt.

See ya, college loan. It'll be wonderful not to owe anyone anything.

-Getting an HDTV.

I've wanted one for years. Soon.

-Getting into shape again.

It's time to get out of the bad habits I returned to in the winter.

-Returning to Roger Ebert's Film Festival.

I've been attending since 2001. Although sleep can sometimes be in short supply, it's a fun event that is almost like a reunion now. Plus, it's a nice break early in the academic quarter.

Four things I say regularly

-I recommend/don't recommend (insert movie name) with a/an (insert letter grade).

It's the standard outro for each review we do on the show.

-Kind of
-Hello

Well, who doesn't?

-I don't know.

Kind of like I'm saying right now.

Four people I think will respond

If they haven't done it before...
-Donia
-Donna
-Jenn
-Karen

Feel free to use any of the categories I answered in earlier posts tied to this meme too.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 3:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd forgotten I'd tagged you for this one!

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Europe? I'm co-leading a trip to London and Paris next summer (June 2009). Nine days, all inclusive, and we've added Omaha Beach at Normandy to our trip. Think about it. Educator-type people and their friends. Knitter people too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home