Thursday, April 10, 2008

Do you want to know a secret?

Yesterday I noticed a student sitting in the lounge area knitting a sock. It's the first time I've seen any students knit on campus, although I suppose the sample size isn't the largest since until our offices moved to more spacious digs last summer, I was holed up in the deepest corner in the building's basement.

I tried not to look too much, but I was curious to see what she was doing. It didn't appear that she had much done on dpns, but I didn't get a great view, just enough to figure out what she was making and using.

A faculty member in my department passed by and talked to the student for awhile about knitting. All of a sudden I felt extremely compelled to blurt out to this professor that oh, by the way, I knit too, blah blah blah blah blah.

Of course I bit my tongue and kept quiet about it all. When the moment passed, the urgency of such a confession disappeared too. Perhaps one day I'll share my knitting secret with my colleague, although I still think I'd want assurance that word wouldn't get around. And you know how word spreads on campuses.

So it's back here, to this pseudo-anonymous shelter where knitting is not something that could make me the subject of mockery. It isn't perfect, but it works well enough.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you resisted the urge!

I met an internet guru this week who was quite bemused at craft blogging "what a novel way to use the internet". I refrained from pointing out that there were millions of us and pointing him to the yarn harlots current tour...

Ruth

 

Post a Comment

<< Home