Monday, March 24, 2008

Spring break

On the administrative side, spring break means relief from the hubbub at work. Gone are the student days of bacchanal, not that they ever existed for me. (Frankly, I find such displays of spring break indulgence appalling, but that's neither here nor there.) No, the excitement comes in the form of having the building almost exclusively to myself, which means I might be able to get something done for a change.

I did feel better after stringing together naps and a good night's sleep yesterday, but I knew that I didn't need to push it today. With almost everyone in the department everywhere but in the office, I was able to kick back and watch a screener (that I needed to see for work) without any disruptions. I was even able to tap out half of a review before succumbing to the temptation to finish from home.

Make that attempt to finish from home. I'm still feeling a little tired and achy, so what's better than a well-placed afternoon nap to rejuvenate the creative energies? Post-nap I puttered around with the review some more, ate dinner, and then put work aside for some knitting and Dayton's NIT game. At least there were positive developments with the latter two. UD won and I'm on the last skein for the scarf. The review, well, I'll wrestle with it after this blog entry.

The outcome of the game determined when I was going to make my spring break trip: tomorrow. (Long story short: if Dayton was going to host their next NIT game, I was going to make it part of the trip. Since they'll be playing at Ohio State, my Dayton/Cincinnati drive will come on the day when they're not playing.) I know what you're thinking. I ought to slow down--and I should--but I'm feeling decent enough that I don't foresee any problems squeezing in a day's activities.

What's on the agenda? An IKEA recently opened between Dayton and Cincinnati. Since there's one item in particular I need to get (and can't order online), this is the ideal time to go. I'm also going to swing by my hometown to see how it's changed, take some pictures, and pick up a box of soft pretzels. If time permits and I'm feeling up to it, I may visit a local yarn shop too. (I should have a discount there from the Sticks N Stitches bag.) On the off chance that you're reading this in time and are familiar with the area, any recommendations for local places to eat around, say, Brookville, Englewood, and Vandalia?

It isn't a conventional spring break jaunt, but then again, I went to Cleveland and Chicago for a few days (or home) when I was a collegian.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Christy's in Vandalia right off Dixie a couple blocks south of 40. If you are into Sushi at all Sake off Miller Ln in Vandalia is also quite good. The rest of it is just your average chain fare. :)

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Have a great time. Wow, you grew up in a teeny, tiny place!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home