Thursday, March 20, 2008

Talk to my publicist

I never know who might read what I write, which is the main reason why I've worked at staying anonymous to a certain degree. Yesterday I received an e-mail from someone in the Communications office at the University of Dayton because of my entry about their basketball team.

He was complimentary about what I had written--he browsed more than just that single entry pertaining to the university--and wanted to know if I was an alumnus. If so, he wanted to write something about me for the alumni magazine and assured me that he could do so without using my name if that was what I desired.

I did not go to school there, so I expect that nothing will come of this. I am amused and a little flattered, though. I don't hold any illusions about what I write here being important or worthwhile to a broad readership. I'm fine with that even if, in one sense, this effort is profoundly narcissistic. Still, it is nice to receive a spot of attention and be considered interesting even if it baffles me.

This comes not quite a year after something I wrote on my other blog landed in the New York Times. Careful with what you write. Search engines might turn up the most innocuous comment that someone else wants to use.

Now when are the book publishers going to starting tossing seven figure contracts my way?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 5:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool. I know that there are a number of quilty/sewy bloggers that have been approached by publishers based on their blogs.

 
At 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! You're famous! That is a bit disturbing, though. Did you know your comments were being published before hand? If not, how did you discover them?

Doniamarie

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

I doubt there's anything worth a book here, but I'll happily accept offers. :)

Last year's Times quote was a complete shock to me. Someone I know who works at the place being profiled tipped me off to it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home