Sunday, February 10, 2008

Sticks N Stitches

Tonight the knitters were let loose in Nationwide Arena for Sticks N Stitches at the Blue Jackets game. If ever there was a a good night for appreciating handknits, this was it. The frigid air and whipping wind made walking to the arena and waiting to get in quite the ordeal. Suffice it to say that I was very glad to have the scarf and hat I made myself.

Although it would have been appropriate for me to bring my knitting with me tonight, I chose not to do so because I'm not working on something small. Plus, I figured the seating area would be cramped enough.

The goodie bag made up for my lack of needles and yarn. Two US 8 straights and skeins of Lion Brad Wool-Ease, Valley Yarns-Amherst, and unidentified yarn were provided, along with some other treats (the latest issue of Interweave Knits, needle inventory sheet, a "Bob" sticker from Ravelry, two pens, a red bag from South West Trading Co., a 20% off coupon for a yarn shop in Troy, and a WEBS tape measure).

As if that wasn't enough, door prizes were given away, and the ticket to the game included a voucher for a free small soda, hot dog, popcorn, and Blue Jackets hat. (Since I don't eat hot dogs or popcorn, I didn't bother with the frank and gave the popcorn to a father and son behind me in the concession line.)

I'm not sure what the final count was, but I believe that more than one hundred turned out for the event. I'd say the Sticks 'n Stitches crew took up about four rows in section 206. When I took my seat there were already knitters doing their thing in the stands.

I was by myself in a three-seat island in the next-to-last row. The two aisle seats to my right were unoccupied. On my left was a step up to the top row. (I was sitting in front of a column that broke up the last row.) I could have kicked myself for not bringing any knitting because I had all the room in the world to knit. I probably looked like a poor soul who had accidentally been put in the section with the knitters.

The section seemed to be into the game, but it was a different experience. When the Jackets tied the game at a goal apiece, I jumped up and started clapping, which is usually what everyone else does. Not this group, probably because their laps had yarn and projects in them. (Yes, many knitted during the game.) I don't yell a lot at sporting events, but I "interact" with the players and officials from time to time. I kept a little quieter since there weren't many nearby who were shouting.

Don't get me wrong. I had a good time and am glad I went, even if the rapidly cooling team, which lost in a shootout, is starting to get on my nerves. The previous paragraph is intended to convey the differences, not to criticize.

A big thank you to LittleWit for all of the organizing she did to make this happen. Just look at the goodie bag preparation she and her family did. I might be wrong, but I think one of the reasons this gathering got off the ground was because of Ravelry's ability to connect knitters. The idea was floated a few months ago, enough people responded with interest, and tonight was the culmination of it all.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 1:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun event, and great goodie bag! I see you're reading/have read life of pi - what did you think?

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Sounds like a great time - wish I could've joined you! Maybe they will do it again next year??

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

Considering there was a big turnout, I imagine it will happen again next year.

Ruth: I read Life of Pi a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I'm glad you went. What a great goodie bag!!

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Matt....... said...

looks like you got some undyed huh?
Go get some kool aide and try dyeing!

 
At 10:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you had a good time! If it makes you feel better I was standing and cheering when the goal was scored. I am usually much more involved in the game but I had a lot of running around to do on Sunday. :)

Oh and the unidentified yarn came from the Yarn Shop with the intention of folks knitting Warm Up blocks. So at the very least, it should be machine washable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home