Monday, December 24, 2007

Nick of time

Seaman's Cap

Yarn: Patons Classic Merino Wool (100% pure new wool; worsted weight)
Colorway: 00229 (natural mix)
Needles: US 6 and 7 circulars
Stitches: 102

The final hat that I absolutely, positively wanted to have done by Christmas was completed a little while ago. That still leaves time to put it in a box and wrap it up. I have one more hat I want to knit as a Christmas gift, but this one was the most urgent. In other words, it's for someone who will be under the same roof on the holiday.

I never cease to be surprised how quickly I can knit this pattern. It's pretty easy, although I nearly made a colossal mistake as I tired during the decreases. I switched the number on the row counter before I was finished with an all knit round. I did two k2togs before seeing the stitch marker indicating that I hadn't reached the round's beginning. I undid my errors but wasn't sure that I unknit the k2togs properly. I think I made minor mistakes there, but I can live with them.

There's also something a little weird at the end of the first round of stockinette. It seems to have led to minor but noticeable ladder. I don't know that my non-knitting family will be able to tell, so I should congratulate myself on knocking out this project so quickly rather than dwelling on the imperfections.

The cable did not separate from the join but is well on its way to doing so. Maybe tomorrow will be the day to attempt gluing all of the cable-join disconnections caused by magic loop.

My mom and I trekked north about thirty miles to visit Red Purl in Niles, Michigan. I called last week to confirm they'd be open today. I was told their hours were 12-4 p.m. Thinking that perhaps they'd be closed on Christmas Eve regardless of what the person answering the phone said, I called today and didn't get an answer. I would have taken this as a sign of their closure, but it took me two calls last week to get someone to pick up. We went anyway.

We were there long enough for me to plant my feet in another state, pull on the locked door, and snap a picture. Turns out that the shop was not open today. I told her that at least she knows where it is if she wants to come back. It seems pretty common for my parents to drive fifteen to twenty miles to the grocery and other stores, yet I got the impression that this appeared to be too far away. Maybe it has to do with the perception of going across a state border. Can't say I didn't try.

The Christmas Eve service is a couple hours away. Since we boys are convenient fall-back options for last minute cancellations by service participants, the three of us who are here have been roped into tonight's program. Wouldn't want to give Santa any reason to put me on the naughty list this close to the big day.

Merry Christmas.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home