Saturday, December 15, 2007

The needle and the damage done

OK, I'm not as disenchanted with my messed up WIP as I was last night. I'm still not happy about it, but it's not the end of the world. Perhaps it was good that it happened. In swearing off knitting for the weekend, or at least until I get my movie reviews written, I feel like some of the weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I was putting too much deadline pressure on myself. Plus, writing while tired always make me sound extra cranky.

Thinking about the situation now, I think I know what I need to do. I'll take the hat off the needles, frog at least two rounds, slide the stitches onto the smallest Options interchangeable needle I have, and then resume knitting on the appropriate needles. It's not without risk, I'm sure, but it seems doable.

It sounds like I should also get some glue to reattach the cable to the join. To clarify, I'm not having a problem with the needle staying attached. The cable has been separated from the join. I'm wondering if using longer cables for magic loop would lessen the stress put on the cable-join connection. Thoughts?

This has been kind of an odd day. I knew that snow was a possibility, but I didn't expect to walk out of the movie theater this morning and find a couple inches on the ground and my car. We got enough to postpone the basketball game for which I was supposed to keep stats. That pleased me since I could stay home and get a review done instead. It would feel really good to scratch out another tonight.

I also read a book for awhile, something I haven't done in a few months. How to Read the Bible: A Guide to Scripture, Then and Now by James L. Kugel doesn't qualify as light reading, but I'm finding it to be pretty fascinating. While the subject matter offers a lot to digest, it has been a relatively easy read. (Thanks for mentioning this book, Donna!)

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 2:27 AM, Blogger Amanda D Allen said...

If you are going to use a different needle to pick up your stitches you can pick them up before you frog. All you have to do is start at the beginning of the round and pick up the right side of each stitch. I realize that sounds a lot easier than it is, but I think it is worth it, because when you frog it can't rip past the needle. That, and I seem to split my stitches a lot more when I'm trying to put them back on the needle like that.

 
At 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your blog and this song reference!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home