Monday, November 05, 2007

Reversible

Ruggles Original Reversible Scarf

Yarn: The Alpaca Yarn Co. Classic Alpaca (100% superfine alpaca; DK weight)
Color: Prairie green
Needles:US 6s
Stitches: 40

Enough with this blog's rut and using the sports talk radio modus operandi of flogging the same old topics to death...at least for a day. There's an FO to show off!

I've finished the item for my International Scarf Exchange 5 secret pal. It took me awhile to get some speed going on it, but yesterday and today I didn't bother to pull out the pattern to knit it. I knew what it was and boldly went forward without the cheat sheet. During piano lessons my teacher would remove the sheet music to see if I could play a piece from memory. (If you played at a recital or in competition, you couldn't have the music in front of you.) More often than not I had it down; I just needed to be prompted. The same applied to knitting this pattern.

This was the first time I've knitted with alpaca. Little strands would fly off and get all over my clothes and up my nose, but otherwise this was really nice yarn to knit with. It's a little scratchier than I'd prefer, but it isn't for me. The scarf has good heft. It should be quite warm, which is important since it's headed to Finland.

I'm very pleased with the finished product. I could nitpick--the bind off row hints at flaring--but I think my hard work on it overrides minor criticisms I'm wont to make. Hopefully the recipient will be pleased with it.

I'll try to take a picture of it in natural light so the color displays more accurately, like in the photo in this post. Another light in my apartment would help with these nighttime pictures, but the sun shows off the green much better.

I'm glad to have this done because I can return my focus to Christmas gift knitting. I'll be in Texas two weeks from now. I'll be giving my brother and sister-in-law the blanket I made for them, and I intend to finish a hat for him by then. Beyond that, there are projects aplenty to be determined.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 3:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks wonderful, I'm sure your swap partner will love it!

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Doniamarie said...

Holy Cow! You're so fast! It looks wonderful! I think I have ADD with knitting. There's no way I could do this as fast as you!

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Beautiful -- I really love that pattern. It's a great unisex scarf. Congrats on an FO!

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Wow - the scarf looks absolutely amazing, Mark! Your swap partner is sooo lucky and I'm sure will just love it!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home