Monday, November 19, 2007

Knitting the friendly skies

Today was a good time to be a knitter. I arrived at the airport about two hours before my flight was scheduled to depart. It ended up being delayed about an hour and a half, so I had plenty of time on my hands.

My concern about getting knitting needles through security, particularly those pointy circs, proved to be unwarranted. I breezed through the metal detector and my belongings passed through the x-ray machine with nary a word from the guards. I settled in at the gate for some knitting, took a break to get online, and returned to more knitting when the flight was bumped back another thirty minutes. I got a lot done.

A couple of old women were intrigued with my activity and struck up a conversation with me. Neither of them knit--crochet and sewing are their bailiwicks--but they were genuinely interested in the hat I'm making. The flight attendants also were curious to know what I was doing. I feel a little guilty for getting the attention. The truth is that what I'm doing isn't hard, even if sometimes I make it that way for myself.

The flight itself was fairly unremarkable. I am in full support of my time on airplanes being unremarkable. I knit for a good portion of the trip, which kept me more relaxed. I'm not afraid of flying, but I get stressed about the popping ears that take forever to equalize and headaches. The descent was kind of rough on the ears, and I still feel like the right side of my head is in a bucket.

Per a tip from those savvier than me regarding aviation travel, I requested a change to an exit row seat and got one. The bonus was that I had no one sitting beside me and extra leg room in front of me. It was like flying first class without the $90 upgrade fee.

So, now I'm in Texas, although I did get momentarily disoriented while at the grocery store with my brother. Where am I again? I arrived in the dark, so the only difference I have noticed is the warmer temperature, which I've been told will not be sticking around for the duration of my stay.

I gave my brother the hat I made for him and his wife the blanket for both of them. Both were well received, although neither item would seem to be needed for the time being in this southern climate.

On Tuesday I'm meeting up with Donia, who has been gracious enough to offer to take me to lunch and show me a couple of yarn stores in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Another southern adventure begins...

Labels: , ,


At 3:42 AM, Anonymous Ruth said...

Hope you have a wonderful visit. It's not just you, in my experience whenever anyone knits in public people will approach you. Two reasons I think, the first is curiosity and the second is that it make you more approachable.

At 9:15 AM, Blogger Donna B. said...

Enjoy the time with your family, and escape as much as possible to do some knitting. I hope I have your luck with the air travel -- I got to the airport 4 hours early and am on standby for two earlier flights, although I'm not expecting to get on any of them. That slightly less than 1 hour connection in Dallas has me worried ... chances are that if there's a problem, though, it will be a delay in the flight out of DFW, so I'm probably not in too much danger as long as things continue to be on time here. I'm enjoying the sock I'm knitting, though, and free wi-fi (hence this long comment), so I'll try to remain calm through what promises to be a long day.

At 9:13 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I'm sure they loved their gifts and I'm super-jealous of the blanket...gotta find some time to make myself one of those, or at least start one so I can say I'm in the process of knitting my very own afghan : )


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home