Saturday, October 13, 2007

My knitting year

On this date one year ago I learned how to knit. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, but I sure am glad I asked to be taught. Knitting has made a big difference in my life this past year. There's been a lot of change, some good and some not, and more stress than I would rather have had. Through it all, it was comforting to be able to turn to needles and yarn to relieve whatever was weighing me down. The simple act of knitting contains more power than is visible on the surface.

I feel like knitting has helped bring out the best in me. I believe I've become more generous, patient, and considerate. I know that knitting has encouraged me to slow down and take time for myself. I've gained more confidence and comfort in my own skin. That last bit definitely comes as a surprise. In those early months as a knitter I felt extremely self-conscious about venturing into a hobby that most people, myself included, associated as a diversion for women (and old women at that). By pushing myself to knit in public on my own I found some peace in accepting who I am and not worrying so much about how I think others might perceive me.

My creative side has been challenged in knitting and writing. Sometimes those two overlap, sometimes they don't. Knitting helped release the words for a particularly fruitful writing period several months ago. I did a lot of self-reflection before, but blogging about knitting, or blogging with knitting as the impetus, has helped me see some things about myself.

Knitting has introduced me to new friends and connected me to a community that I'm happy to be a part of. I can't say enough nice things about the wonderful people I've met online and offline because of knitting. You've welcomed me unconditionally and, to my amazement, taken interest in whatever I've had to say in this space. I hope you know how much that means to me.

Here's to many more years of knitting and the happiness it brings.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Happy Knitiversary, Mark!

 
At 5:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A little belated, but happy knitiversary nonetheless! I've enjoyed following your knitting adventure and can't quite believe it's been a year already!

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Mine is quite belated, but happy knitiversary!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home