Wednesday, March 07, 2007

The Week of No Motivation Whatsoever

The Week of No Motivation Whatsoever continues. I suppose it has its side benefits, like putting me in the proper mood to purge the junk I've amassed at home.

After work I dug through some more stuff. I've found a system that may not be the most efficient, but it makes the time pass painlessly. While sitting with the computer to my side (and e-mail and iTunes at hand) I'll work on a stack and determine if the item in question should be thrown away, given away, recycled, or kept. By no means does the "kept" bin guarantee I'll hang onto it, but for now it's made the cut. Once I'm done with this initial round of culling, then I'll make final determinations on those things receiving temporary reprieves. The winners get packed. The losers get sold or go in the trash.

But enough with the moving talk, right? What about the knitting?

My current bout with ambivalence and lack of internal drive has extended to the baby blanket. It's coming along fine, but like my apartment work, it seems as though it will never get finished. This is why knitters work on more than one project at once, isn't it?

I started knitting a coffee cup cozy with some stash yarn and discovered that I could make casting on go faster if I didn't remove the needle from the stitch I just made. In other words, while sliding the new stitch onto the left needle, I bring the right needle to the bottom of the stitch and cast on the next one instead of taking out the needle. Does that make sense?

I can credit The Art of Knitting DVD in part for my discovery. I haven't watched much of it, but I learned how I should be inserting the left needle into the newly cast on stitch on the right needle. I don't know that what I was doing was wrong, but it has been easier to cast on this way.

I'm curious to see what the rest of the DVD is like. Some of the production aspects surprised me. Couldn't they afford a teleprompter? Didn't anyone realize they needed more head room for that shot? Shouldn't the close-up of the knitter's hands be a little looser? From my brief sampling of the DVD I can say that the information is solid, but there are early signs that some production issues will drive me batty.

Thanks for the comments regarding yesterday's knitting secrecy rumination. I was going to chime in, but I've decided to save those sparked thoughts for another time. Know that I appreciate the support and help I get here.

2 Comments:

At 5:56 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I'm giggling at you critiquing the knitting DVD! Once a critic always a critic... Pay attention to the techniques, would ya? ;-)

We all go thru periods of little/no motivation. Rest up. And yes, the monotony of some projects, like your blanket, is why some of us have multiple projects going at once. But for me, it's because I think I've always had ADHD. LOL I also usually have 2-3 books going at once.

In the evenings I also multi-task. When I remodeled my kitchen, I made sure the computer hook-up and laundry were also in here. So when I'm online at night, I'm also doing dishes and folding clothes, packing tomorrow's lunches...

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

It's less the critic and more the TV producer in me.

And what is this concept called "rest"? :)

Multi-tasking is a good thing, but sometimes I feel like it means I'm always in motion. The question is if I'm getting anywhere or treading water.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home