Thursday, March 08, 2007

Nice and cozy

Kristin's Jazzy Coffee Cup Cozy

Yarn: Knit Picks Andean Silk (55% superfine alpaca, 23% silk, 22% merino wool; worsted weight)
Color: Cranberry
Needles: US 7s
Stitches: 50

A short project was just what the doctor ordered last night. This is the fourth time I've knitted this cozy, and I think I'm finally getting it. It's a little dodgy around the seam, not from my sewing but because the sides don't line up perfectly. Still, it's a better seam than I have in any of the others. Learning the mattress stitch worked wonders. One of these days I'll make the cozy on circular needles, but for now this will work. I dipped into the leftover yarn in my stash to make it. I'm thinking of using this yarn for an attempt at this flower pin.

Speaking of stashes, what do you do with your yarn labels? In a cleaning frenzy I threw out most of the labels only to realize that they might have been worth keeping so that I would have dye lot information, among other things.

Also, since Francesco Redi helped disprove spontaneous generation hundreds of years ago, I know that moths are not born from the skeins of yarn in my stash; however, I have noticed a few moths in my apartment of late and was wondering if their presence is related to having yarn around the place. If so, are there any measures I should be taking? Or am I just getting insects because my neighbors have a habit of not leaving the door to the building standing wide open?

And yes, that wall in my office at the station really is that yellow. Another wall is cinder block painted a paler yellow. Then there's the pink-ish cubicle wall/divider that splits the room into two offices. The other wall is mostly taken up by a big sheet of glass covered with some hideous curtain out of the 70s. (Long ago the room was a recording booth.) Come this summer, it will be nice to have my own office, not to mention a consistent color scheme in it.

3 Comments:

At 1:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a bright wall! The coffee cosy looks great. You could try a few cedar balls in your yarn stash just to be sure that the moths don't enjoy themselves too much. I think it's probably more due to your neighbours and the door than it is to the yarn though.

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Let's see... First, great Jazzy! I see how you are improving. :-)

Second, I keep labels for any balls of yarn that I have leftovers from, unless I have additional balls of the same yarn from the same dye lot. I tend to store them together. Partials get put into ziploc bags (quart size) with the labels if they are singletons. If you lose a label, but know the yarn, use a sharpie to label the bag. Of course, you won't know the dye lot, but at least you'll know the yarn brand and color.

Ruth is right. Your yarn isn't what has created the moths. My guess is that just as spring is coming, the natural life cycle is allowing them to hatch somewhere in your building. They will, however, be drawn to your yarn. Keep any wool or natural fibers in a container (ziploc or tightly sealing) to protect your stash. Adding cedar blocks or balls will help. Moths generally won't touch acrylic, but they will go after natural fibers.

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

great job on the cozy! i should think about knitting one of those for myself, although it would only add to my want/need to stop for coffee on the way to work and i'm really trying not to do that more than once a week...so far i'm failing, but last week i stuck to it, so maybe i'll continue on that path. just shouldn't spend that money or drink that much caffeine lol

ps - sorry i've been such a stranger...been super busy w/ work and school and getting ready for our vacation at the end of the month, but i wanted you to know that i've been saving the blog reading for the weekends. need more hours in the day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home