Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Alternate

Seaman's Cap

Yarn: Cascade 220 (100% Peruvian highland wool; worsted weight)
Colorways: 8555 (black) and 7824 (orange)
Needles: US 6 and 7 dpns
Stitches: 102

I wasn't necessarily set on going to this week's knit night until I carelessly dropped a couple stitches in a late decrease row Sunday evening. I know how to pick up dropped stitches but not when I've been knitting them together in previous rows. Now my attendance would be imperative. What was a paralyzing error in my hands became, in no time, another repaired project by the knit night's designated mistake fixer. (Surely there's a better title than that we can give her.) One unexpected bonus from attending tonight was the unseasonably mild weather, which everyone enjoyed on the patio of a Mexican restaurant.

If we were talking artworks, this hat would be called a companion piece to a hat I made my dad. It's supposed to recall the old NFL knit hats I remember from when I was a kid. I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, but essentially it was something like this:

except there wasn't any writing. (Or so my memory says.) I'm also thinking the color scheme was like what I just finished: black brim, orange body. Unless I'm imagining it, I had one of those Bengals cuffed knit hats with a pom. I've recreated it, more or less.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The colors are a nice contrast in what's sure to be a good football weather hat...unless the Bengals are an embarrassment this upcoming fall and winter. But let's only think good thoughts about the franchise.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I remember the hats you are describing, except I was up near Cleveland so we saw Browns and Steelers hats more then Bengals. They were solid, with an embroidered round patch and a pom pom on top, and no writing on the top part.

Very nice FO. :-)

 
At 10:33 AM, Anonymous LittleWit said...

We generally just call her Mama Katy. :P 4 weeks without her means someone else is going to need to step up OR she will come back to lots of projects needing help. :)

It was good to see you last night.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Doniamarie said...

Very nice! I'm going to have to try my hand at one of these sooner or later!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home