Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Tired

Today was to be the day that I purchased new tires and had them installed so as to keep my car from barreling down the road as though I'm competing in luge. (Note: I've never been on one of those sleds, so imagine how out of control I might be.)

Only half of the day's task was accomplished, although without the abundant information at my fingertips, chances are I would have a new set of tires on my car. As you know, things are different now. Research about stuff one may know practically nothing about can be called up at a moment's notice and make you informed enough to be dangerous.

Before I decided to get a new set of tires, what did I know about them? Not much. What do I know about tires now? Slightly more than not much. In other words, I know enough to think I know what I want based on poring over reviews and user ratings. I've probably devoted four hours to determining what tires best meet my criteria and who is offering the best deal for purchase and installation.

It was more work than I wish it had been, but fine, I've saved a few bucks in the process and found tires that should be a good match for me. The only problem: the place where I went to get them didn't have any. Also, they're backordered. Perhaps for up to a month. My back-up choice--see, I was thinking--was also backordered, although they might arrive in a few days' time.

How about these tires, which are the same brand (but not ones I researched), asks the not particularly dynamic salesman. Let me check, say I. Through the power of technology I am able to find reviews that dissuade me enough from agreeing on the spot. Maybe I'll be back to get them, maybe I won't. Initial data indicates that they're probably not what I want.

Told that I'd be facing the shortage regarding these specific tires elsewhere, I elected to go home and work more on the problem. A friend recommended an online vendor to me, although I figured that after the cost of shipping I wouldn't be saving anything. I knew that they were showing the tires I wanted in stock, though. After a quick call to my mechanic, who told me what he'd charge, I decided that an online purchase was in order. And yes, I shaved a few--very few--dollars off what I would have paid today if the tires had been at the shop.

I won't have them in time for the big snow storm that's supposedly on its way. (The tires won't be delivered until Monday or Tuesday.) While I may face some hairy driving situations between now and then, I am happy with the way this worked out.

The site where I purchased the tires had provided the bulk of my research information, so I suppose it was only fair that they got a sale from it. I'd rather have a mechanic I trust install the tires, especially with the less than diligent efforts I observed where I went this morning. Still, for a decision that years ago would have been based upon going somewhere and asking for their recommendation, it has left me somewhat tired.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home