Saturday, January 16, 2010

Sticks 'n' Stitches 2010

The annual Columbus edition of Sticks 'n' Stitches took place at Nationwide Arena this afternoon as the Blue Jackets hosted the Chicago Blackhawks. To my knowledge this is the third year the event has been held here, and in my observation it was the best version of it yet. (There's still the niggling matter of the CBJ actually winning on one of these dates. Then again, being victorious is something they've had trouble with the last couple months.) The game itself was a sellout due in no small part, I'm sure, to the approximately 150 Sticks 'n' Stitches tickets sold.

Goody bags included: a hank of Caledon Hills Worsted Wool in Mallard (green), a free PDF pattern from WendyKnits at The Loopy Ewe, an issue of Cast On and Interweave Knits, a stitch marker from In a Pear Tree..., bags from Temptations and Namaste, a Twist Collective pin, yarn and needles for charity knitting, a free pass to the Ohio Historical Society, and other knitting and local information.

Other contributions were available as door prizes. Yours truly continued his streak of not winning one. This is not a big deal. Anyway, my eyes were on winning the 50/50 raffle--not affiliated with Sticks 'n' Stitches--that I entered with a dollar I found on the ground yesterday. I didn't win that either.

The distribution of freebies and information about door prize winners was handled as smoothly as something like this can be, especially when the organizer is limited to a couple tables in a metaphorical corner.

Since the group was kind of nestled into its own corner of the arena, it was a different atmosphere for a hockey game. As a partial season ticket holder, I'm familiar with the routine and the traditions, such as shouting "Leo!" when the national anthem singer is introduced and standing to cheer and clap along when the team scores a goal. (In that sense it's like following the ceremonial actions in a church service.)

I tended to be one of the few who stood after a goal. Then again, I overheard one person realize late that she had been accidentally cheering for the visiting team. Not all of the Sticks 'n' Stitch-ers were hockey newbies, but it was a less engaged group. That can be OK. The bellowing fan behind me at my regular location can be a bit much, so less vocal attendees have their benefits.

So, lots of goals, some free yarn, and a good turnout from the local crafting community. I think that qualifies as a success. Great job, Erin!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:53 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Sounds like a fun evening. A group of ladies from Gahanna Knit Knite went as well. I'm looking forward to hearing all about it a the next get together.

Did not know about the tradition to yell Leo's name. My sister and roommate are regular hockey fans. Leo happens to be the tenor soloist at my sister's church. She LOVES Leo.

Happy Knitting!

 
At 7:43 PM, Anonymous LittleWit said...

Glad to hear you approve! It would be nice if they would win for us. It makes me a little sad that each time we go they lose. As long as the Blue Jackets sales people don't make the connection though we should be ok. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home