Friday, May 15, 2009

Notes

Notes from a day...

-Ordinarily I'm not in the office (or not in the office much) on Fridays, but today proved to be the proper Friday to head out early for work. Apartment complex workers were handing out a box with a half dozen Krispy Kreme donuts and a single serving bottle of Sunny D to each resident. (Apparently in this rapid age the old Sunny Delight name is too long.) Nice gesture even if I really don't need six donuts in my possession as temptation.

-As for my recently renewed eating and exercise routine--I hesitate to call it a diet because the plan is for it to be a permanent switch--it's progressing along nicely even with the carside delivery of free donuts. Minneolas have become a favorite evening snack. I'm feeling better. Amazing how that happens when food consumed is based on what's healthy rather than what's convenient.

-The spring here has brought mild temperatures, some of which have been downright cold, but the air conditioning had to be turned on tonight. It remains to be seen if higher temperatures will linger, but it's been pleasant to have the sliding door open to let the cool air in the past couple weeks.

-Of late I've been interested in taking a look at films from the 1980s to see how much moviemaking style practiced during my formative years has changed. I popped in the Romancing the Stone Blu-ray tonight and mostly enjoyed the silly fun of the romantic comedy adventure even if it hasn't aged particularly well. (The synthesizer score recalls sitting in an optometrist's office or listening to on-hold music twenty-plus years ago.) Anyway, within the film there's an explanation of where the term "crocodile tears" originates. I knew the meaning, but I was unaware of the derivation.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:46 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Oh my gosh. Minneolas are my ALL-TIME FAVORITE FRUIT. I'm a tart citrus person all the way, and tangelos give you the ultimate burst of tart juice with no seeds and minimal pulp. I watch the grocery store like a hawk for them all year and buy them in box-loads when they're in season. I really need to get myself a mail-order distributor, because the window of opportunity at the produce section is always disturbingly small.

 
At 1:10 AM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

I've found them at Whole Foods as recently as this week, so they are out there. Don't know if that's an option for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home