Sunday, September 21, 2008

Uncertain is the nicer way to put it

So I've started this new sock for the third time. I knitted eight rounds of the leg and began to worry that the sock still might not be big enough. I couldn't try it on because the dpns get in the way, so I took the project off the needles and pulled it on. I could get my foot through it. If I were to add any stitches or go up a needle size, it seems like it might be too big. I'm good to go, right?

I cast on for a third time and have knit back to the point where I frogged the WIP after trying it on this morning. And you know what? I look at it and think that it doesn't look like it should fit. It's a strange position to be in. I have empirical data that should have convinced me I'm fine, but I continue to fear that I'll invest hours into it and discover it is too small.

Maybe it's because the cuff isn't stretched out yet. Maybe it's because it will be too small. Whatever the case, I've put the sock aside for the rest of the night.

As for my adverse reaction to sweater vests, I am willing to soften my hardline stance after being given potential project links in the comments. This and this seem like they'd be OK in theory, although I'm not so sure about wearing a short sleeve shirt with the latter. These appear more stylish than what I see senior citizens wearing on football Saturdays. Also, it comes down to thinking I'll look like an idiot and sticking to the conservative instead. Like most men, it's fair to say that I don't think I have a style or confidence in an individual fashion sense.

The new Mason-Dixon Knitting book was released last week. After flipping through it at a bookstore, I'm glad I didn't order it blindly. I have zero use for the preponderance of women's and kids' clothing patterns. The Fair Isle section might be instructive as colorwork remains a mystery to me. The steeking instructions might also be worthwhile if I ever do that insane technique. Despite the photographic evidence, I have a hard time believing it doesn't create a disaster. It's counterintuitive.

I'm sounding really skeptical these days, aren't I?

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 7:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What sock are you knitting? If it has a ribbed leg you won't need to worry much about it fitting. If it's all stockinette stitch then trying it on will be the way to tell if it's gonna fit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home