Friday, September 19, 2008

Rick and Renault enter the fog

My divulging at prior knit nights that I have never been to Knitters Mercantile has been met with much surprise. From what I gather, it is The LYS in the area. As a Columbus knitter, my failure to visit was nothing less than a stain. I went today. Not out of peer pressure, mind you. That's the fastest way to get me not to do something. No, I decided that it was time, especially since I was in the market for sock yarn.

The short drive was hampered slightly by a traffic light still out from Sunday's windstorm. It sounded like the store has been closed all week, so luckily power was restored there by the time I dropped in for my initial trip there.

I was recognized by an employee and fellow knit night-er, so in no time she made some suggestions for the pattern I've chosen to knit next. I decided to go with the ONline Supersocke 6-fach, which is 75% superwash wool and 25% polyamid. (Since the light in my place at night is insufficient for photographing yarn, I'll try to post a picture of it tomorrow.) It's variegated with approximately three shades of blue, some brown, gray, and white. I splurged somewhat on it, so I better be more satisfied with it. Next time it's likely Knit Picks sock yarn for me. (This was something of an instant gratification purchase.)

I also needed the appropriate size of dpns, so I bought a set of Brittany US 4s in birch. I'm hoping they won't catch the yarn quite as much as the Clover Takumi bamboo dpns I've used.

So, I'm all set to start another pair of socks, although I need to recover from this frantic first week of classes and home electricity interruption first.

Note/question to Donna, per her last comment: a vest? Explain/justify. I need some convincing.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our power returned this morning. Oy. So grateful to have a working washing machine and a computer again. I did get some knitting done during the dark time.

Congrats on the socks. Looking good. I took some time to get into socks as well.

I read in my local paper today that the Drexel in Grandview is closing. Your thoughts?

Congrats on making it to The Merc.

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

C'mon. You're a vest guy! We've all seen the Ravatar. :) And vests are basically two rectangles joined at the shoulders and sides ... or can be knit in the round. No sleeves (the bete noir of sweater knitters, take forever) -- when you get the body done, you're done. All kinds of fun details if you feel like it -- colorwork, cables, whatever! The variety of men's sweater vests will keep you knitting for a good long time, plus they're totally wearable wardrobe staples!

A VEST!

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

i kinda think donna might have a point w/ the vest - get on it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home