Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Rebel yell

If I haven't said so before, the articles that play up knitting as rebellion can be a bit much or overstate the case, but this recent piece in The Guardian makes the best argument I've come across in support of the idea.

Now I've always felt a little rebellious as a knitter, but that has more to do with the societal expectations I feel like I'm challenging. I didn't take it up as a provocation, but I'm aware that my knitting in public can attract attention regardless. For that matter, I am still the secret knitter, which would suggest that perhaps there's something that could be seen as disreputable about this thing called knitting.

Now that I'm a few months shy of two years as a knitter I can see that the subculture is something those outside of it can't fully understand. That probably feeds the rebellious feeling among knitters, that they know about this wonderful thing that many other people are oblivious to.

I'm amused by what Knitta does. It's remarkable that their knitted tagging might be considered a subversive act worthy of police attention, although who knows if there's really a need for lookouts while they do their thing.

What do you think? Is knitting rebellious? How does it make you feel?

Addendum: This article was part of an entire section and has a Ravelry thread already in progress. Shows what my memory's been like the past couple days. I had read the first page of the thread and forgotten about this until seeing it again now.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 3:52 AM, Blogger Ruth's Place said...

Here in South Africa I'm seen as very odd for knitting. There aren't many young knitters around. It's hard to feel rebellious when people see you knitting in public and tell you that you remind them of their grandmother...

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I'm a bit of an oddity, except at my LYS. Now that I have a spinning wheel as well, I'm an even bigger yarn geek!

Rebellious? I never thought of myself that way where my knitting is concerned.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home