Thursday, November 15, 2007

Baby, it's cold outside

Winter won't officially start for almost a month, but as far as I'm concerned, it arrived today. The temperature took a nice dip to put a chill in the air, and I drove home in insubstantial flurries but snow nonetheless.

While I'm sure this precipitous event will elicit a hue and cry around the city's water coolers, proverbial and otherwise, you'll hear no complaining from me. Fall is my favorite season, but there is something to be said for the bracing slap on the face cold weather provides. The air seems cleaner, the world sounds quieter, and life adopts a slower rhythm (at least in theory).

A hot meal is never better than when the cold is trying to creep through the doors and windows. Watching falling snow through the streetlights lends a magical quality to the environment. I could do without icy roads, the need to scrape windshields, and the preponderance of runny noses and coughing in the general public, but I won't hold winter's tag-alongs against the season.

I've lived in Ohio my entire life, so I'm accustomed to four distinct seasons. They help make daily routines a little more interesting. Sure, I suppose it would be wonderful to live where it's always sunny and seventy, but that climatic sameness has to get boring after awhile, doesn't it? Or is that what those of us entering the frostier portion of the calendar say to convince ourselves?

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 9:41 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

Snow! Oh, I love the snow.

Winter is a nice season. I do like getting to sit and look at the snow outside or taking snow walks, then coming back in and enjoying a hot cup of tea or coffee. Mmmm.

Lovely piece of writing. :)

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Doniamarie said...

I miss Michigan! :-(

 
At 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. We only see a smidgen of snow once a decade, rarely spend time scraping windshields or driving on icy roads. We have lovely, temperate springs, hotter than hot summers, short-lived but beautiful autumns, and sometimes (relatively) cold winters. I know that our changes are not as dramatic as our northern neighbors, but we do get changes.

Though I do have the occasional pang of jealousy when I see the stereotypical snow-covered winter wonderland pictures, mostly I am grateful for the warm sunshine that makes a heavy coat a rare need. I love the fact that I get to don winter sweaters and scarves (more for fashion than warmth unless attending an outdoor event) but seldom have to contend with slippery roads and layers of clothing.

It is currently 50 degrees, the sun is shining, the wind is not blowing. Truly a beautiful day.

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, it's what you guys say to convince yourselves :) I have to say that last year (first year away from a sub-tropical climate in a while) it was nice to see the changing seasons though.

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Charles said...

We miss coid snow weather HERE!
I live in CA..Since almost 10 never seen snow befor! 89Degree today and yek! Too hot!
I miss hot cup of tea or coffee also!

Also visit my knitting blog...Thanks!

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Ruby said...

I like fall, but could do without winter. I'm a warm weather person through and through.

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Yay for snow! Send it up the interstate to my place, OK?

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Tim Sisk said...

it snowed where i live, in knoxville, tn, yesterday, and i was freaked out. i've always lived in the deep south, and it's much too early for snow. at least earlier than i'm used to.

my name is tim, by the way. you read and comment on my friends' blogs, and i've been reading yours occasionally. i decided to stop lurking and introduce myself. keep warm!

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

You all can have the snow...I myself am not a fan lol I absolutely love fall and spring is great, but winter and summer get too extreme around here for me. I'm more of a moderate temp kind of girl...55-75 is perfect and anything below or above by much makes me crabby. I used to love the summer heat, but as I get older, I prefer the mid 70's. Definitely would love to move to San Diego where the weather's perfect most of the time, but I'm a Clevelander for life...guess I just have to deal w/ the extremes. Glad to hear others like the cold and snow, though...maybe I'll try to embrace it this time around. We'll see...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home