Saturday, October 20, 2007

Magic loop

I've been alternating between two projects today. The restarted Ruggles Reversible Scarf #1 is coming along nicely. It didn't occur to me when I cast on again that I used the long tail method. I like how it looks, though, and it has produced a squarer edge than I've tended to knit. (It's not been unusual for one or both sides of the scarves I've made to have more of a bell shape.) I'll have to check if there's something akin to a long tail bind off.

As for the ribbed beanie (PDF), I ripped it out this morning and cast on again tonight. I messed up on the first row and tried to compensate. I split the first stitch when joining, so I had an extra at the end. Knitting two together didn't take care of the gap that was forming. I'd also been having difficulty knitting it in the round. The 24" cable is just a hair too long to knit it comfortably.

In addition, the cable was poking out awkwardly and stretching the space between two stitches. It was as though the project was telling me the solution: magic loop knitting. I've heard about the technique and got a demonstration at a LYS in Arkansas, but it didn't click with me then. I'm not sure why; the Knitting Help video was easy to follow.

I cast on again and have been using magic loop to knit with less trouble. It's possible when more is done that I might be able to knit regularly in the round. Either way I think I'm good to go on this project. The weather isn't dictating a need for the hat yet, but I'm really eager to complete it.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 10:35 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Magic Loop!!!

See, it's just as natural as you've heard. Long circular cable = any small size diameter. Woooo!

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I love the hat pattern! Thanks for posting it. I can think of a couple of people that could use it this winter. I'll be using DPN's for the hat.

Enjoy the magic loop. I have other things to finish before exploring.

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I learned the magic loop awhile ago and attempted to knit a sock using it, but got distracted and then overcame my fear of DPN's and gave up the magic loop. I've heard great things about it, though, so I'm glad you picked it up. Maybe I'll give it another try one of these days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home