Thursday, October 18, 2007

How to disappear completely

You'll have to excuse me for one more day of essentially knitting-free blogging. After another day of double digit hours at the office, I'm not exactly peppy. So, no knitting tonight. The good news is that I'm not going to work on Friday, although ostensibly I'm doing some kind of work in heading to a couple movies. (I missed all six screenings this week, if that tells you how busy I was. A Wilco concert and hockey game were responsible for two I didn't see, which wasn't so bad.)

For a brief moment this afternoon I realized how isolated I've become, especially in the last couple weeks. As you know, this summer my office moved to a building that is on campus by virtue of it being part of the school, but it isn't in all practical considerations. There's the main campus, and then there are those of us in the two departments off in our own satellite building.

I got a call that something was needed in the middle of campus right now, so I delayed the bigger priority work to take care of this still important but quick task. Walking back to the work vehicle I saw how beautiful campus looked as the golden hour approached. Then it hit me. I haven't seen campus for most of the quarter. Most of my day is spent in stale air and artificially lit boxes--my office and the control room--and plenty of that is spent alone or in rushed interactions. Hey, I didn't say it was an uplifting realization, although it was nice to glimpse the sun's natural light draping the trees and bouncing off the main building.

Anyway...I cannot wait to have some time to sit down and knit. I feel like part of my daily routine has been missing, and I'm beginning to wonder if I'm falling desperately behind in making Christmas gifts. This week and last have been bracing reminders of why I took up the craft.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 9:24 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

You should take walks. Lots of them. I take walks everyday at work, just because I can...

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I agree w/ the take walks at work advice...I live a block and a half away and I take the long way to and from work, but before and after work, and at lunchtime. It's great to get some fresh air and exercise midday w/o too much effort. Unfortunately, today it's raining, so the walks will be short and to the point :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home