Thursday, September 06, 2007

Take two needles and a ball of yarn and call me in the morning

If firsthand experience didn't tell me otherwise, I would be skeptical of the press release "People Who Knit and Crochet May Be Happier and Healthier". I wouldn't be so concerned that a yarn company issued the release. Of course they're going to jump at the chance to promote the benefits of hobbies that use their products. It's the troublesome "may" in the headline that would set off my skeptical sensors.

That single qualifier can make any statement technically true. People who knit and crochet may metamorphose into dermatologist recommended laundry detergent between 2 and 3 a.m. See how one word implies that what follows is true even if there is no evidence? I guarantee you'll see it in every medical study story printed in newspapers. That's not to say every study lacks merit, but it's an easy way of hedging one's bets.

Enough with the hairsplitting, though, and back on point. This isn't the first time I've come across this theory. Based on how I've felt knitting has changed or brought out something in me for the better, I'm inclined to believe that knitting can increase happiness and health. Yeah, I know I've been grumbling a lot of late--for good reason, I interject--but I notice time and again how knitting makes my stress subside.

Today's a good example. The cumulative effect of one setback and aggravation after another had my head ready to explode. Picking up the needles and knitting the scarf this evening helped calm me down. Mentally and physically I feel more at peace. I've incorporated knitting into my daily routine because it plays an important role in taking care of myself. I know the same holds true for most of you, if not every last one.

While my knitting identity may still be kept secret from the majority of those who know me, I don't feel self-conscious about showing this side in public. Knitting has become natural to me, so there is no need to hide it where I feel comfortable. (I think the same goes for the more personal things I've written here. I never intended to be as revealing as I can be.) I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but I can't imagine the past year without knitting. That's merely anecdotal evidence to contribute in favor of the researchers' results, but I'm confident that my experience isn't outside the curve.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home