Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The way we get by

It's official. I need a vacation.

Today it became abundantly clear that it's a good thing I'll be headed south on Sunday. My patience has eroded like car brakes that produce an awful screeching sound when engaged. I could feel myself getting irritable with the students and practically anyone else I came into contact with at work. Granted, the students were doing things that get on my nerves when I'm not grouchy, but my ability to stay immune to the annoyances lasted a lot less.

This really isn't a surprise. All manner of delays have beset the move at work. I'm in my office in the new building, but otherwise we're at a standstill. I have practically nothing to do and am very concerned that we won't be ready in time for fall classes. There's also some other rigamarole that we thought had been resolved, so collectively we're getting tired of pounding our heads against the wall.

Plus, the last significant period of time I had off was almost a year ago. Christmastime was all about moving my parents. The film festivals in Cleveland and Illinois were fun but had an element of work tied in. I sensed myself getting impatient in the grocery store line the other day, so I know I'm overdue for replenishing my patience and getting some relaxation. I'm really looking forward to the trip, so that helps keep my impatience at bay. I have some knitting that I'd like to get done before taking off, which should keep me occupied in the meantime.

I'm still happy to check out recommendations you have for a vacation knitting project. You all have been helpful in directing me toward some things I wouldn't have made. Amanda flatters me by thinking I might be able to knit an Aran laptop cover. Jenn thinks I can do cables, but I'll be the judge of that. :) Donna pointed out a nice MacBook sleeve, but isn't the Apple-rific case incompatible with my Windows machine? And sewing on a zipper? Terrifying. If you know of any good patterns for a notebook computer bag, send them my way.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Blogger donnadb said...

If you're up for more socks (the best travel knitting by far, there are two patterns designed with men in mind at Emily's blog -- Worsted Weight Basic Socks and Wheat.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

Hmm, is it a good idea to start other socks when I have one single awaiting its counterpart and another yet to be finished? Thanks for the patterns, though.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Amanda D Allen said...

I still think Jenn is right. You can do cables. They can't be that hard. You just have to keep reminding yourself that there are only two stitches.

 
At 1:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cables are easy, you will need a cable needle though. Just follow the instructions. I'm happy to help if you get stuck.

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I have to agree w/ the others...cables are soooooo easy and if you get a nice beginner pattern or even just practice a cable stitch for a little swatch, you'll agree. Give it a try!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home