Monday, June 27, 2011

Midpoint

The year's almost halfway done, so now is as good a time as any to check in on my resolutions and see how I'm doing.

-Lose weight/get in shape again.

I've lost some weight, although I have no idea how much. With some backsliding on what I eat, more could have been lost than has been, I'm sure. Certainly I'm in better shape than I was at the start of the year. I pedaled almost 24 miles in an hour on a recumbent bike today and burned 752 calories. (I also overdid it a little. Ouch.) I've had setbacks here and there, but I've exercised regularly. Tough midterm grade: B-

-Read The Bible all the way through.

Uh, I fell off pace in February and haven't resumed since. For shame. Midterm grade: D

-Read more.

I read four books in the span of three weeks from Memorial Day weekend on, which vaults my inattention to this resolution up to a respectable performance. I have the reading bug again. Right now it's simply a matter of picking what's next. Midterm grade: C

-Give more to charity.

I'm ahead more than I was at this point last year, so that alone should qualify my work here as a success. It's not something I've thought of lately, so reminding myself of this resolution now is a good idea. Charitable (?) midterm grade: B

-When it comes to media consumption, aim for more depth among the breadth.

Kind of a tough one to judge, but I'm going to say I've not put sufficient thought into this. I'm still not spending enough time with new albums, for instance, or exploring deeper into what I have. Midterm grade: C-

So, it seems that I'm doing a middling job overall. Averaging out the grades puts me somewhere around a C for the year's resolutions. I'd like to be doing better. Acknowledging that fact should refocus my efforts, or at least that's the idea behind monitoring my progress. Considering how harried this half of the year has felt, I suppose average success is a positive achievement. But onward and upward!

How are you doing on your resolutions?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home