Friday, June 24, 2011

Should-hood

File under "is this how it should be?":

-Last weekend I got some ice cream at Cold Stone Creamery because I wanted some and they were the only place I could find it where I was. There are too many good local places near where I live to give this chain a second thought, but in this instance they would do. What I didn't realize before entering the shop is that at Cold Stone the ice cream is really just a base for whatever you want to mix in. (Yes, I was aware that adding stuff to ice cream is this place's thing.) It's kind of like the ice cream itself is an afterthought. I wanted mint chocolate chip, which meant I ordered the mint ice cream and then had to ask for chocolate chips to be mixed in. Something just seemed wrong about this whole method.

-As noted yesterday, my original birth certificate was not in good enough condition to be accepted with a passport application. I went to the Vital Statistics office today to get a new one. I didn't have any trouble and was pleasantly surprised how little I had to wait. What struck me as odd is that it would seem anyone with enough basic information about me could have gone in and got my birth certificate if they wanted. I presented no identification. While I put my name, address, phone number, and e-mail on the form where it wanted to know who was requesting the information, there's nothing to say that I was that person. Could anyone who knows my full name, the city and county where I was born, the date of my birth, and my parents' full names pony up $21.50 and get my (or anyone's) birth certificate? Something about that just feels wrong.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 10:55 AM, Anonymous LittleWit said...

Yep pretty much. My friends went and got my brother's birth certificate when they took him to NY and crossed into Canada a few years back. We knew they were doing it, so it wasn't a big deal. I can't imagine why anyone would really want a copy of someone's birth certificate though?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home