Saturday, March 12, 2011

One day at a time

Since I work at a university, I tend to experience the weeks and months according to the academic calendar. To you right now may not seem like a significant time. To me we're headed into finals week and then spring break.

It's been an extremely busy term for me and a tiring one, although more physically than emotionally/mentally, which is a nice change from the previous quarter. I've had a lot to stay on top of in addition to my renewed commitment to exercise. Often the amount of things on my docket has appeared very imposing, yet here I am almost at the conclusion of the term with some accomplishments to be satisfied with.

I made a conscious choice at the start of the year to take things a day at a time rather than letting the totality of what was ahead of me become overwhelming. I credit that change in mindset with much of the success. Sure, I've been stressed about things that are undone and not feeling like I have enough time to complete them. One more of them is staring me in the face before I take a much-needed break. Taking them piece by piece and day by day lets me give myself permission to enjoy the time when I'm not working on them. That's not always easy for me.

This approach has been helpful in my attitude toward exercise and diet. Taking it a day at a time means concerning myself with only one workout than a week's worth or a month's worth and the meal at hand than most of a week eating frozen meals. I've finished ten weeks in better shape and with improved eating habits. There's still plenty of work to be done, but it doesn't seem as daunting now.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home