Sunday, March 20, 2011

A bridge and a pizza

I was pretty gassed after the last two days, and my brother and I were pretty slow in getting around this morning. We started the day in mid-afternoon at Grand Central Station, a beautiful place, bymeeting a couple of his friends who happened to be in town for this morning's half marathon. From there we hopped on the 6 train intending to go to Lombardi's Pizzeria, which lays a claim to being America's first pizzeria. It turns out that the subway stop is being skipped this weekend, so we went all the way down to the Brooklyn Bridge. OK, that works. We had intended to walk to it at some point anyway. (And yes, that is a hat knit with my own hat appearing in the lower right corner of the photo.)

Thursday and Friday were gorgeous spring days, but Saturday and Sunday have reverted to the chilly side of the thermometer. We walked a quarter or halfway out on the bridge before turning around to get our first meal of the day, even if it was in the vicinity of 5:30 p.m. We walked north through Chinatown and arrived at the famous pizza place.

We wolfed down a margherita pizza. It was good, simple food. I was in the mood for something heartier, but I can't really complain. The crust was good, albeit thinner than I prefer. It wasn't a greasy, heavy meal that is usually associated with pizza, so in that sense it was probably the right thing to get.

We decided to call it a day from there. It's been a fun but wearying weekend. My brother has work on Monday. I have the day mostly free to explore. If anything else is going on in the world beyond my New York adventure, I'm barely aware of it.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home