Sunday, August 29, 2010

In rotation

Assuming my trip for work and pleasure doesn't fall through at the last minute, I'll be setting out on the road very soon. Consider it summer's last hurrah. So while I try to keep all the plates spinning and make plans for driving to Maine, why don't I write a bit about what I'm reading and listening to.

During the trip to Minnesota I began reading Bone. I thought a graphic novel might be an easier read in the car, so of course it's perfectly sensible that I then chose a 1332-page book to tote around. (Bonus: Bone and the cartoonist have a local connection.) I'm about halfway through it and have enjoyed what I've read so far.



While the pairing of Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan seems unusual--she came from the twee Scottish band Belle & Sebastian, he led grunge rockers Screaming Trees--their collaboration makes for an interesting study in opposites. His low, rumbling voice sounds like it could crack the earth while her wispy vocals seem like they might evaporate. "You Won't Let Me Down Again", the first single from their newly released album Hawk, is representative of their Americana explorations, and it sounds like something to turn up while heading down the highway, something that's captured in the video.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home