Monday, March 22, 2010

Smart and safe

I am back in the hotel I checked out of this morning.

Around 11:30 p.m. I walked out of the place hosting the film festival and saw that it was raining buckets. Hmm, that's not ideal driving conditions for someone who hasn't been getting full nights of sleep, is coming off of watching six films over the previous fourteen hours, and is looking to spend the next couple hours driving home. Water was pooling on the city streets and interstate. Highway speeds being observed by fellow drivers hovered around 35-40 mph.

I didn't have the option to wait out the storm. I've been in such a bubble since Friday that I have no idea if it is supposed to rain like this all night. So I decided to play it smart and safe rather than cheap and stupid. I would check back into the hotel I checked out of earlier today.

I wavered on the decision when I hit better stretches of the interstate, but ultimately I held firm to that gut impulse to suck it up and pay for another night's lodgings. I didn't need a couple hours of white knuckle driving, and while I felt pretty good, especially considering the ringer I've put myself through the last four days, I didn't know how long that would last under long, strenuous conditions.

And yes, my car accident a month ago weighed into tonight's decision. While I think I would have been fine, I felt like I didn't need to press my luck. The reason I stay where I do for the festival is because the hotel is at least half the cost compared to accommodations in downtown Cleveland near the event. Another night isn't going to break the bank, but really, what I was more concerned about not breaking was myself or my car.

Rain or not, this was probably the most sensible thing to do anyway.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home