Friday, July 27, 2007

Friday night knits

Ah, some quality knitting time...

I've been somewhat on edge the past few days, which corresponds with a lack of knitting and exercise. Coincidence? Probably not. The weather was unpredictable early this evening--one fierce storm blew in briefly--so going for a run was out of the question. Knitting, on the other hand, was a safe option that could quickly be shifted indoors in the event of a downpour.

I knit on one of my balconies for about an hour. (Before you get the idea I have a pad with huge balconies capable of bashes you might see in rap videos, I should clarify that they're only wide enough to fit an ice cream parlor table.) The humidity slowed me down some and moved me inside eventually, but I was happy to knit, knit, knit on my secret project. I finished the first ball, measured the piece, and determined that the second ball would not be enough.

Since I was in the mood to get out of the apartment, I left to buy more yarn and then settled onto the couch at Starbucks to knit some more. I even knit "naked", meaning I wasn't in my own bubble listening to my iPod. I felt really comfortable and thought it might be fun to listen for any comments that might be made.

If there were, I couldn't understand them. It must have been Unofficial International Night, beginning with the piped in tunes. Peppy Latin music transitioned into opera, something Italian if I were to guess. I couldn't tell you the difference between Verdi and Puccini, so the best I can do is peg country of origin. It sounded faintly familiar. Of those customers who weren't reading books, one couple was speaking (most likely) Chinese while five teenage girls were conversing in German. I studied enough German in high school that I can pick out some words--I plucked "twenty" and "maybe" during my eavesdropping--but not enough to follow. This ambient symphony of foreign language was probably helpful in attuning my focus on the secret project.

Wouldn't you know it? I felt better after all that knitting time, and I'm ready to return to it when I'm done with this post. It may not be the most exciting way to spend a Friday night, but the prescription gets the job done.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Blogger Doniamaria said...

I'm jealous! Knitting nights are awesome! I'm going to follow suit and do this tonight - though maybe not at Starbucks (I know, I know, I really AM listening to your advice!). And I'm going to finish something for once this weekend!!!

(If I ever do get to Starbucks like you, I will likely rely on the iPod. You're braver than me!)

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

i'm jealous, too, but alas we are finally done cleaning out the old apt (except for taking the huge pile of "trash" from the garage to the curb on monday night), so my day off on monday will either consist of some much-needed unpacking at the new house (doubtful lol) or some much-missed knitting (highly likely!!) :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home