Monday, July 23, 2007

Continuing ed

The secret project is in full swing. Already it has been an educational experience.

I'm knitting from a pattern in a book. The secret project seemed like something I considered within my abilities even if it's calling for learning some crochet. The listed materials are the author's fancy-schmancy yarn, but I knew I could find the equivalent at a local store.

I questioned the number of rows that should be worked for ending on a wrong side row--the book listed an odd number--but I figured that knitting one more or one less wouldn't present a problem. Upon reaching that point, I learned two things.

First, the yarn I am using is not giving me the gauge called for in the pattern. The width is as it should be (or close enough), but I have to knit a couple extra rows to match gauge. (Moving down a needle size might have been enough to obtain it.) By the time I realized this I decided that I liked the way everything looked, so who cares if I have to knit more? I should have plenty of yarn to get the job done and would rather not start over.

Now it's time for me to confess my dirty secret. I have never knit a gauge swatch. Not one. I probably haven't made anything so far where it's mattered, but I am aware that this could get me in trouble down the line. I like knitting plenty. I'm not wild about pointless knitting, which is what most swatch knitting strikes me as being. I'm willing to listen if I'm way off target, though.

Second, I shouldn't automatically assume that a pattern in a book is error-free. Indeed, the number of rows to be knit was incorrect. It should have been an even number, as the corrections page on the author's website stated. Although it's probably a fluke that the last two book patterns I've attempted have had mistakes--and this latest one was fairly apparent, even to me--I have learned that it doesn't hurt to check the publisher's site before beginning.

I was knitting the secret project on straights, but as I went along, it seemed like circular needles would be more sensible. I got the proper circs and knit the secret project onto them. Sure enough, it will be easier to manage the secret project on circular needles and easier on my wrists when I've knit a significant amount.

After knitting socks almost exclusively for the past month or so, it's nice to use some bigger needles. The US 9s felt unusually large at first, but I like that the project is taking shape quickly.

I would be remiss in posting today if I didn't pass along my thanks for this dishcloth.

Jennifer made it for me as a housewarming gift. For as many dishcloths as I've made, I could use some for myself. This will be quite handy. She did a great job with the colors. Actually, it's a perfect match of my high school's colors. Thanks Jennifer!

Apropos of nothing, although maybe I can tie it to my personal reading history post, take a look at this pizza box.

You see the spelling error, right?

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 10:35 PM, Blogger Ruby said...

Swatches can be very important depending on the project. I've had to learn that lesson a couple of times for it to stick though. A little extra time to check gauge and how well a new yarn handles the stitch pattern can save a lot of headaches down the road. I hate having to frog and start over.

Of course, I'm still tempting fate by not using a lifeline on my current lace project...but I have gotten lots of practice unknitting really, really thin yarn. *sigh*

It sounds like you're doing really well with finding pattern mistakes. I always forget to check the publishers' website for corrections before I start a pattern. That's good advice, I need to remember it.

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Amanda D Allen said...

Shame on you for not making swatches. My gauge is never what it needs to be. I've gotten so frustrated with it, that I'm probably at the point where I would knit a gauge for a dishcloth.

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Aughhhhh! The dreaded missing apostrophe.

I actually knit a gauge swatch for Cady Gray's (still unfinished) jumper. And I changed to larger needles to get stitch gauge. But for anything but garments, there's no reason to bother.

They do provide an invaluable way to learn a stitch pattern, though, as I learned when I frogged my first carefully turned short-row toe after screwing up the lace pattern that followed. I then did a swatch to practice the pattern a couple of times, before re-assaying the toe and lace with much more confidence (successfully, I might add).

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

You're very welcome, Mark...glad I matched the colors so well. Also glad that you can use it...I know you've been knitting lots of them, but I figured that even if you'd kept them all, one more wouldn't hurt and it's always fun to receive a handknit, especially when you are a knitter :)

And the spelling error is one that makes me CRAZY!!! I wonder how many boxes are printed w/ that silly error...maybe you should call and tell them that "your" not 100% satisfied w/ their guarantee ;)

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

You are=you're. Not your. *throws grammar fit*

Oh, and I've never knit a gauge swatch either. Haha.

 
At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grammatical errors! The bane of my existance! Swatches are important if knitting something you actually want to wear - go on ask me how I know lol. I've started doing more lately. I'm a bit of a cheap-skate though and reuse the yarn that I've used to knit the swatch.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Doniamaria said...

I hate gauge! And it doesn't like me! I haven't made anything yet that depends - life and death - on a swatch though. Thank goodness! I'm going to have to get this down soon! If you learn a secret, let me know!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home