Saturday, July 21, 2007

Harry Potter and the Release Night Frenzy

You could say that I underestimated how many people would show up at Borders to buy their copies of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. As I neared the center with the bookstore and other shops shortly after midnight, I saw that the entire parking lot was full. There were scattered single spaces, but it took some driving around to find them.

The line was out the door just to get wristbands that were needed for another line to buy the book. I've never seen anything like this. Inside it was semi-controlled chaos, with hundreds of people hanging around the store like it was a college dorm lounge. Many were dressed as characters--Gryffindor scarves were a popular adornment--and the excitement level was something like what you might feel standing in the pit at a rock concert before an anticipated show.

I had no idea what I needed to do and asked around until I was pointed in the direction of the table for obtaining a wristband. That's how crowded it was. I didn't see the table upon entering the store. I got number 727, so I wouldn't be surprised if they had nearly a thousand book buyers for the extra hours Borders was open.

By now I knew I was going to have a decent wait, so I headed toward the café hoping to get something to drink, preferably an eye-opener. Although a worker was behind the counter, a handwritten sign read, "Closed and your magic cannot open us." Oh well. I had my bag with me, so I set up shop in the seating area and knit my sock. I knit for an hour while wizards, witches, and their patient parents milled about.

The seating area was closed at 1:15. Luckily by then it was time for me to get in a line that snaked through the fiction stacks, past the children's books, through the music section, and by the film books near the restroom. I wasn't finished with my round when I had to vacate the seats--I was in the middle of the instep stitches--so I knit the rest of the round standing up with the little bit of the remaining skein stuffed into my pocket. After finishing the round I put the sock back in my bag and shortly thereafter was able to procure my copy of the last book in J.K. Rowling's series. I was out the door at 1:30, a much later night than I had expected, but I was curious to see what the experience would be like. Anyway, the knitting made the time fly.

In between two naps, a trip to the yarn store, and a combined lunch/dinner I've read 283 of the 759 pages. I doubt I'll get it finished this weekend, but it's been a very good read so far. No mentions of knitting, though.

I've been enjoying knitting socks, but I also feel like I need something else for a change of pace. I checked out a book from the library that provided an idea for a secret project I began tonight. It calls for some crocheting with the finishing. I'm not sure about that, but I checked out another book that I'm hoping can get me through the necessary crochet work.

Back to the needles or Deathly Hallows? Decisions, decisions...

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 10:29 PM, Blogger Karen said...

No Harry Potter spoilers... I have less than 100 pages left to go! Of course, I left for Kroger at 11:55, got there at midnight, had my book at 12:02 and was thru the checkout and out the door by 12:09.

Yay for your knitting! Now, when do we get to hear about the secret project? And let me know if you need help with crochet.

 
At 5:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We pre-ordered our copy, and got bonus reward points for doing it. We didn't brave the midnight madness though (yes, they even had that in deepest darkest Africa) we picked ours up on Saturday evening. We couldn't decide who would get to read it first, so we started reading it aloud, we're currently 3/4 of the way through - Sunday was a thoroughly unproductive day.

Do 'fess up on the secret project...

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Good luck on the crochet finishing...I avoid those projects like the plague because the few times I've attempt to use those crazy hooks for something other than weaving in ends or picking up dropped knit stitches, I leave feeling defeated...I really want to learn crochet, but just can't get the tension right. Please keep us posted when you get to that point on how it's going for you - GOOD LUCK!! : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home