Monday, March 19, 2007

Film festival slippers

All-Time Favorite Slippers

Yarn: Patons Shetland Chunky Tweeds (72% acrylic, 25% wool, 3% viscose; bulky)
Color: Dark forest green
Needles: US 10s
Stitches: 28

It really doesn't take any time to make these, does it?

I knitted most of the left slipper at the film festival and finished it at home last night. I knitted most of the right slipper tonight. Now they're done!

These are a much better fit than my first pair. In theory there shouldn't be any difference in the size, although I used bulky weight this time and double wrapped worsted weight the first time. I measured my feet and ended up sticking to the pattern's suggested length. Whatever the difference, these won't go flopping off my feet. I also did a better job of drawing the yarn tightly at the toes. It's the third time I've knitted these slippers. (The others were for my mom.) I think I have the knack of them now.

I've tended to knit the same things over and over. That might sound boring to you. Occasionally it can be. The advantage of this method is that I get a good grasp on how to correctly make whatever it is. (Pardon the split infinitive. It doesn't sound right any other way.) I don't mean to diminish my first attempts at objects, but as you'd expect, my second FO tends to be an improvement over the first and so on.

These slippers were my project for my first weekend at the film festival. I'm going back for four days beginning on Thursday and could use some suggestions. I know some were made before and dismissed or put on hold, so let me put clarify what I'd like to do even though I don't know what that is.

First, if I'm in the theater or hallway, I don't have a lot of light. Anything that requires frequently reading the knitting or detailed instructions probably isn't the best choice. Second, there's not a lot of room in my bag for yarn and the WIP. This upcoming weekend I may relieve myself of the laptop I carried around during the day, but either way, I'm probably restricted to a couple skeins. Third, I have a limited knowledge base of what I can make. If I haven't thought of something that seems obvious, it's because I'm still very new to all this. I'm willing to knit something different but need some guidance. Fourth, it must have practical use. In other words, I'm not going to knit a cat toy because I don't have a cat. That should cover it.

If you care to read about what I saw at the festival, I've posted recaps of everything on my movie site. (There's a link to it here. Yes, I'm still going through these contortions to shield search engines from drawing too direct a link between this knitblog and my film blog.) I might tack up one more post there with grades and some random observations that didn't make it into the other entries, or I might be satisfied that I produced all that text and consider this weekend in the books.

Hello to my secret pal Starfish from Favorite Color Swap 2 and everyone visiting here via the yarn swap entry on her knitblog. Feel free to have a look around.

1 Comments:

At 9:12 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Those slippers look wonderful! :-)

I'm supposed to be working right now, but I'll think a bit on ideas for you for the upcoming weekend in terms of knitting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home