Sunday, March 18, 2007

More film festival knitting

And I'm back. That went fast.

In a surprise twist, sanity prevailed. Out of nineteen sessions, I went to twelve of them. That might sound like a lot--it is--but last year I went to a film in each available slot over six days. In comparison, keeping this year's schedule looks like asceticism.

I bypassed 9:30 a.m. screenings, as I swore to do, but decided to tough it out for Saturday's midnight session. Go figure, the Norwegian slasher pic Cold Prey, a thoroughly mainstream movie, is my favorite so far. (Hooray for Norway. Cold Prey and Reprise are my top two of the first weekend. I liked that country's films at last year's fest.)

I skipped the late afternoon (4:15-4:45) rounds on Friday and Saturday. I stayed for a 4:15 starter today and then embarked for home. Tonight's two evening sessions weren't enough of a draw, and I was feeling the day's effect. I had to rush from film to film with barely enough time to scarf down lunch. My eyes were getting tired, and I felt weary. Not the best combination for getting behind the wheel for two hours, but leaving when I did allowed me to make about half of the drive while the sun was out. Anyway, I'd seen plenty to satisfy me until I return to the festival for Thursday through Sunday.

The trip was over in the blink of an eye, but it was good to get out of town for a few days. I didn't get quite as much sleep as I thought I might. Being the early bird got me a good parking spot for St. Patrick's Day but an hour's less of slumber. On Friday I got the soundest night of sleep I've had in ages. Even if it's of the rushed variety, I was able to do some writing. What's done is done.

And I did some knitting. I don't have much left to finish one slipper, so I made good use of time that would have otherwise consisted of sitting with nothing to do. It did initiate some conversations, although that was mostly reserved for chats with old ladies. I'm not sure if knitting kept people away, but when I knitted in the theater beforehand, I don't think I had anyone sit next to me.

I know it sounds crazy to say that seeing that many movies is work. Trust me, it is. I have to credit the knitting for giving me a break, even if it was just for twenty minutes at a time.

Next weekend is a dicier proposition for knitting in public. It's likely that I will cross paths with some people who don't know about my secret. Decisions, decisions.

3 Comments:

At 2:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting so much knitting done! When do we get to see pictures?

Are you moved yet?

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

Good work :)

Oh, so I have another friend of your name that I'm trying to convince to come to knitting group. He wishes to knit beanies for his head which he keeps shaved--but he doesn't want to be seen knitting, I think. But I may have convinced him...

Lance is going to be felting for his first project--he's way excited! Hehe.

 
At 12:49 AM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

I'm scheduled to move May 26. Two more months...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home