Friday, March 30, 2007

Felted and uncut

Felted needle holder

Yarn: Lion Wool (100% wool; worsted weight)
Colors: Cadet blue, ebony, sage, and winter white
Needles: US 8s
Stitches: 40

OK, so I've finished this thing. Now how do I get it to hold needles?

I tried inserting the needles through the felt, but all I could do was push it through to the other side. That's not what's supposed to happen. I've been reassured that I can cut the fabric, but how exactly do you do that? With much dread I ran a scissor across the wrong side, but it didn't seem to do anything. That's probably just as well.

I've looked at the picture with the pattern (linked above) and searched for instructions, but I've come up short in finding additional help. I seem to have the most problems with the parts that apparently don't require much explanation. That's why I sewed in ends incorrectly for the longest time. Any clues for the clueless?

If you're wondering why the color pattern isn't symmetrical, it's because I wasn't really thinking about it when I finished the first section.

In other calls for help, does anyone know of any patterns for a cat mat? I'm going to another film festival in less than a month, this time in Illinois, and wanted to make one for some friends I meet up with there. Also, suggestions for future projects would be appreciated. I'm kind of stumped about what to work on now that the weather is warming up.

3 Comments:

At 4:41 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Mark, each of your needles will poke thru the fabric twice. Starting at what will be inside the roll (when the case is rolled up) poke a needle thru to the back side, then from the back side, push it thru again. Part of the needle will be on the outside of the roll, but the tip and end will be inside when the whole thing is rolled up.

If you place the needles strategically, none of them will be exposed when the roll is closed.

Great eye for color! Those look great together.

 
At 4:58 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Check your email.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

So you should push it through each side. Seems obvious now, but I was under the mistaken impression that I wasn't supposed to let it go through the right side. That explains a lot, not to mention that cutting it should be done all the way through too. I was making it harder than it should have been.

Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home